USS Enterprise CVAN-65 - Revell 1:720

A

AlasdairGF

Been fighting with this model - and working under some tight restrictions from my boss, who demands that there are no rudders & propellers etc so that when he plays with it on the carpet, it won't get damaged. Black hull - I was torn, but executive power lies with The Boy, so black it is (fortunately the easier option!). We will only be glueing half the planes down, so that the other ones can fly off and shoot something. On deck markings, I ended up just going with an easy option (and then stuffing that up, too - didn't paint the 'tram lines' at the side of the runway, and frankly don't have it in me to sand down and start again, the whole weekend - and yards of masking tape! - was spent on that flippin' runway.

So progress so far... deck & island not glued on yet, btw, some more deck marking to do first (safety lines around elevators, that sort of thing).

View attachment 76994

View attachment 76995

View attachment 76996

View attachment 76997

View attachment 76998

I'm finding working in this scale quite frustrating - the lack of detail annoys me (and I've not got to the stage where I'm confident enough to tackle PE yet), probably made worse by this particularly so by this old Revell kit which has had the odd bad review touching on lack of detail even at this scale (e.g. no hangar deck, very little detail & no decals for air wing, etc).

Also - painting such large areas is a challenge for a brush-wielder! Think this may be firmly the territory of the airbrush-waver.

Still - have been having fun with it - slightly dodgy hull fit aside that I haven't 100% corrected - so I'll keep on going. Recently only been getting bench time at weekends, so the end seems still a way off... and I'll probably accept some very rudimentary painting on the air wing!!!

Couple of quick questions:

1. This is my first ever ship - only done 1/72 planes so far. Will I be doing the same with finishing as I'm used to; i.e. paint, gloss, decals, gloss, wash, weathering, final finish? And would one usually go for a matt finish with a ship?
  2. Any tips on how to produce vaguely realistic wheel marks on the runway from heavy carrier landings?
CVAN-65-05.jpg

CVAN-65-04.jpg

CVAN-65-03.jpg

CVAN-65-02.jpg

CVAN-65-01.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice start Alistair,

All modern ships have a semi gloss look to them but I always paint in matt I find it easier to dry brush with

How big is the kit? Putting tyre marks on the deck might not be visible to the naked eye to keep it to scale

I would just dry brush some highlights to darker sections like the flightdeck to show some detail, things like the edge of the deck and any panel lines, you can also use this method to show windows and doors on the control tower

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's looking good Alasdair. You have a Phantom painting session in your future I think.

C

cryton 5

nice work dude like the detail and theme ,will probably come across such model in future I'll be looking in on progress cry

C

cryton 5

hi be starting shortly on 1/800 scale Nimitz once I figure colour's but a good example from you're self them small details all part of the patience etc. eh regards cry ton!o_O