V*RA the CANADIAN Flying Lanc' also known as VeRA to the 'locals'.

I

ian lanc

I'll carry on then guys :xyxthumbs:

I've been decaling the fuselage today and really hit a problem with those two side windows

which I had to remove, you see I've used the original windows in the tamiya fuselage but not

thought that the windows in VR*A are in a totally different position so the two 'holed' windows,

Which have got to be filled and matched to the fuselage and new windows made which are wider apart.

Look at the two below pictures to see what I'm writing about,My roundel decal went over the windows as they would have on a real Lanc'

Really pee'd at this :mad:

Last edited:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
really enjoying this build the workmanship and detail is amazing i have one to build myself and i have aquired a book Lancaster a bombing legend (nick radell and mike vines) for my ref you might find this of interest as it as it is all about vroa just hope mine turns out to be half as good as yours

I

ian lanc

\ said:
really enjoying this build the workmanship and detail is amazing i have one to build myself and i have aquired a book Lancaster a bombing legend (nick radell and mike vines) for my ref you might find this of interest as it as it is all about vroa just hope mine turns out to be half as good as yours
Hi John,

For my info' I'm using the information from the guys at CWH! You see I know several of them who fly and maintain this beauty.

As time goes by and the team at CWH gradually gets more wartime spares for VeRA she will eventually look different to my model

and it will become out-dated and strange looking, For instance all my pictures show VeRA with a solid wood escape hatch in

the fuselage, well now they have sourced an escape hatch which has the round porthole window in it. They also keep adding

fuselage windows as they find them!

Really been enjoying modding this Lanc' to the point it is a miniature of VeRA :cool:

Cheers.

Ian.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
its great to hear they are keeping her up in the air and are looking after the old girl i bet you know the story about the axe then that the squadron keep from another lancaster i hpoe your friends get to see your beautiful example off their baby.

I

ian lanc

John did you hear about VeRA's emergency some months back ?

One of the main wing tips folded up and she had to land! Some thought her time was up.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
John did you hear about VeRA's emergency some months back ?One of the main wing tips folded up and she had to land! Some thought her time was up.
A wing tip folded up? :eek: I hope they can repair it and get it airborne again soon.

UPDATE:

The Lanc has been grounded since April 17 when the lower bracket on the right wing tip came loose while on the first training flight of the season near Dunnville. The lose bracket caused the wing tip to point upward, forcing the crew declare an emergency and return to the John C. Munro-Hamilton International Airport where the heavy bomber landed safely.

Following close inspection, museum officials determined a few nuts on the bracket had loosened slightly or the metal on the wing tip had become stretched over time causing the spacer-bolt assembly on the wing tip to fail.

Mickeloff said the museum had new upper and lower brackets made for both wing tips.
http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/lancaster-back-in-the-sky-next-week/

So she should be flying again by now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ian lanc

\ said:
A wing tip folded up? So she should be flying again by now?
Yes mate she is fully repaired now and has done several displays since then, When the BBMF heard about the wind tip

folding up they checked out PA474 and renewed all the nuts on her as a precaution.

When the incident happened it was all hush hush when it happened and even I was told to keep my trap shut.

Roy Chadwick the designer of the Lanc' knew about the 'weak spot' on the Lanc' but he never did anything about it !

Below is a picture of the underside of VeRA and if you look carefully you can

still see the crumpling on the panel which was the result of the wing-tip folding up.

Back to me model of VeRA............

Filled in the two incorrect windows with plastic and a layer of super glue which will be sanded down level...Hopefully!

Sanded the filled in windows and first coat of primer/black, fillering looks good at this point.

Added undercarriage arm-locks which are the red rods!

A few detail parts i've knocked out of plastic - bomb sight - bomb aimer seat - one aerial - and a grey thing which is under the nose of the Lanc'.

Civil reg' added to the underside of the wing, not many people see this but its got to be one.

Correct sized 100inch wing roundels and a note to any future Tamiya Lancaster maker!

''The wing roundels are too small and are actually for the Avro Manchester''

My modded rear inflatable Dunlop tyre, The twin shimmy tyre was cut and and scrapped.

Thanks for having a read and nebbing over the pictures.

Ian.

I

ian lanc

** If anyone is going to build this kit I would tell them NOT to paint the front turret

as Tamiya say but alter the framework and Tamiya have got it wrong**

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing detail here Ian, and thanks for the follow up on the wingtip.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The build looks amazing, great work here. So, how big will the beast be when built, I fancy building something big !

I

ian lanc

\ said:
The build looks amazing, great work here. So, how big will the beast be when built, I fancy building something big !
Hi Colin.

The Tamiya Lancaster is a bit of a whopper and measures 25.5 inch's wing-tip to wing-tip and 17 inch's the entire fuselage length.

Its finished now and can be viewed via' the below link in the forum...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes/17234-tamiya-1-48th-avro-lancaster-canadian-warplane-heritige-vra.html#post143599

Cheers.

Ian.