V*RA the CANADIAN Flying Lanc' also known as VeRA to the 'locals'.

I

ian lanc

This is as far as I've got with this beauty.

Attached the canopy onto the fuselage using normal super glue......['Note' the curtain in the canopy]

Canopy on neatly and everyone hates this job......['Note' the missing curtain in the canopy! It fell off when I flicked one laggy band :roll: ]

My trusty 'drying rack' the bay window ;) Though not getting much sunshine these days.

When gluing down the canopy DO NOT GLUE the rear section of the canopy!

It will stick down well along the bottom edges around the 'sliding windows' and front windscreen.

Most of all. Take your time in fitting the canopy to get a good/neat join to the fuselage.

THE MAIN-WHEELS !

The wheels on VeRA are quite different to normal Lanc' wheels and could be off a Shackleton or Lincoln

So i've had to remove the wheel hub slightly and make four plastic disc's, this took ages to make the damn

disc's and eventually I'll add more detail on them.

The tyres are painted in matt black with a coat of Klear then going to mucky them up slightly and to add the disc's.

Excellent picture of one main-wheel

IMG_0147 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers.

Ian.

First Name
Dave
Some useful tips there Ian.Ive got one in my stash and ive built it once before in the early nineties when it was issued in black plastic.I knew the raised lines on the wings were wrong.Wonder why Tamiya put them there?.Your PE instrument panel looks really good.Ive bought the Eduard etched cockpit set for mine.Is it the Eduard set that you've used?.

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Some useful tips there Ian.Ive got one in my stash and ive built it once before in the early nineties when it was issued in black plastic.I knew the raised lines on the wings were wrong.Wonder why Tamiya put them there?.Your PE instrument panel looks really good.Ive bought the Eduard etched cockpit set for mine.Is it the Eduard set that you've used?.
When Tamiya came over from Japan in 1975ish they modelled their soon very new Lanc' from POS which is the Lanc'

at Hendon and at that time the restoration crew involved in R5686 had put very thick canvas masking tape on the

wing ribs and Tamiya copied them and copied them very badly at that time, only for the ground crew to re-new

the canvas masking tape with thin solid tape.

Did you know every joint on a Lanc' has canvas masking tape to stop water going in...lol

Yes the PE panel is the Eduard set but for some reason when you glue the metal parts

together they just come apart no mater how much you clean the rear surface, in the

end I had to use epoxy glue to hold the parts together.

Ian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You did ALL that in an hour..... LOL

A very interesting read Ian.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Nice work Ian,neat bit of info about the canvas strips of tape ,who knew?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Wow Ian, that is looking great, the detail work and obvious time you have put in is really impressive.

Can't wait to see VeRA all completed. More photos soon please.

Tony.

C

CDW

I can't see all the impressive details for all the other impressive details :smiling3: :smiling3:

this is blinding work Ian.

just keep the tips and pictures a comin' cos I can't do planes very well and I need all the help I can get for when i eventually attempt another one.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
This is a fantastic build Ian. Just found this video of the very said lanc which includes takeoff, flight and landing.Avro Lancaster Flight on Vimeo

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Top tip on the little plastic card insert behind the bomb aimers window.

Mine needed one too,just shy of 1mm. Knowing to check (and fix) in advance certainly saved some grief.

Cheers

Steve

I

ian lanc

What a cock up from me and all the detailed pictures i've found on the net and from friends

I've just decalled the red lines under the main wings and tail wings only to find out the actual aircraft doesn't have any

So it was out with the sellotape and remove them all :oops:

The finished wheels! Just a bit of plasticard here and there and the odd washer, These wheels are actually from an Avro Lincoln :smiling5:

All the hard work is now done with the completion of the fuselage.

Been unable to fully paint the front turret yet due to the camo line only just being completed.

In my excitement I decided to fit the Mosscaster exhausts.

Thanks for looking.

Ian.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Some beautiful work going into this Ian, can't wait to see more matey.

Have fun, John

I

ian lanc

Thanks for the support maties.

Having put on a few coats of Klear I'm unhappy with how its made VeRA look cheap so I'm going to give it

a slight coat of clear satin though not much but just enough to get rid of that 'cheap look'

Hit another problem what could be seen and was a right eyesore in that the two rear fuselage windows

had dried white around its edges and looked crap :roll: So I had to drill them out/clean the holes and

will refit some new windows when the model is finished, I'll stick these in with PVA glue not super-glue.

Drying rack/window sill put to use again as 'the drying rack'!

You can see the white horrible bits on the fuselage! I didn't half sigh when I spotted them.

Thank-god I got them out without ruining the fuselage :mrgreen:

Also been making the fuselage lights/aerials which are dotted about the fuselage too.

Thanks for looking again and hope I'm not boring anyone

Ian.

P

phalinmegob

you have learnt a valuable lesson there mate, superglue fogs clear plastic.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff Ian.

I don't think that you're boring anyone! I for one am following every move,you've already saved me a ton of grief on my own build.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not boring at all ,this is a great build thread.

First Name
Dave
Ive got one of these to build.Some im finding your thread very interesting.Not boring at all.