Vallejo Acrylic-Poliurethan Primer (Grey) - Help Needed

L

Lovepug13

Hi,

First post and I was hoping for some help if possible....

Purchased some of this (above) during the week......Delivered on Thursday.

I primed a model in this earlier today using my airbrush. It looked good and I left it to dry.

I was packing the item away and I noticed the primer is just rubbing off. I have since painted a section of another model (by brush) in this "primer" and it just rubs off.

I alway de-grease before painting and I am at a loss as to why the primer wont stick.

An internet search yields other people who have had this problem. is it me? Or am i Missing something? Does it have a 1 day + cure time? Or do I need a new primer?

I have ordered some Purisol Acrylic Paint remover and intend to recover the model next weekend. If I do need a new primer can anyone make any recommendations for something that is easily obtainable and can be shot through an air-brush?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A lot of people,myself inclded,use good old Halfords plastic primer (if you are in the UK). Not shot through an airbruah but misted on from the aerosol can. It sticks like the proverbial you know what to a blanket.

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the Vallejo Grey primer all the time and find it excellent. What I do is wipe the model with IPA first (what our American cousins call rubbing alcohol) then airbrush the primer and leave it to cure 24 hours, though 2 days is better to have it fully cured. Its not enough just to wait until it appears dry.

It works well, is self levelling and forms a hard surface.

Oh...welcome to the forum Adam....

T

tecdes

Like Barry,Adam, I use Vallejo Primer & have not had any problems at all. Very strange.

But I should add that I wet & dry every little bit before priming with a 1500 grit which has been worn in a little.

Far from having problems I have found this a first class primer. Found that this primer is very smooth & drys quickly.

If you have found problems & its sounds as though you may have part of a faulty batch the Vallejo help email line is really good. A couple of queries I have had have been answered within a couple of hours.

Matter of interest were both the airbrush model & primer at the same temperature ? Did you also use a thinner & if so was it Vallejo thinners ? Vallejo say their thinners has a resin based, as their paints & using other thinners affects what they consider the ultimate performance.

Apologies Adam. Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it here.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum-

Another Vallejo user here. I have only ever had the odd hiccup here and there due to greasy finger prints. Otherwise I find their primers excellent. Shake well pour in and spray!

Dries fast and flat.

I suggest an email to their customer support as well.

Ian M

L

Lovepug13

Hi Guys,

I must admit I laid out some test models last night and brushed this primer on.....24 hours later and they are solid. I only allowed twenty minutes with the problem model and this must be the cause of the problem.

I am gonna strip it all back this coming weekend and try again...I think it will be great once it's done.

Thanks for so many replies, you guys seem friendly so I am gonna stick around a bit and try to pick up some tips and contribute a little bit.

I have ordered some purisol....any experience of using this.....assume it's just a brush on and leave type product....any info before the weekend would be great and very useful.

Speak soon gys.

Adam

A

andygh

I don't like the Vallejo primer, too finnicky

Halfords primer will stick to lard ;)