Vallejo - Acrylic Polyurethane - Primer White Scale 200ml 74600

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi Folks,

I don't usually prime my kits, but think I should? Tamiya must be one of the few manufactures still using sand coloured plastic or should that be styrene!

Any way when painting dark yellow on sand, the colours just seem to merge together and you can;t always tell where you have covered well and you finish doing it twice.

I like Dragon's grey styrene, very easy to work with and paint.

Also I have used patches of white and black for pre-shading, so white could even help with British dark green or olive drab, which are just that DRAB!

So I am thinking of getting this from the shop, Vallejo - Acrylic Polyurethane - Primer White 200ml 74600 Now who's used it? What do you think? do you thin it?

Regards

Mel.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
plastic or should that be styrene! .
Actually Polystyrene. Styrene is extremely toxic stuff and you wouldn't want it in your house. It's also liquid at room temperature which makes assembly a bit tricky :eek:

Sorry,the old chemist in me coming out..........I'll get me coat.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I can't help with that primer either :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Mel. Have tried a number of primers in my short modeling life.

Have settled on Vallejo who do white, black & Grey.

Airbrushed I do not thin at all as they are airbrush ready. They go on very well & dry smooth.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo's primers are very,very good. Spray well and give a great surface to paint on. Black white and grey, what more could you ask for. Apparently lots, as I have just seen that they are starting to make primers in all kinds of colours. A good idea or just a way to just us dipping in the pockets again???

Great stuff, use it with confidence.

The only other primer I use is the Alclad primers. Micro filler, also black, white and grey. On the minus side they stink! The plus side; spray great, very fine surface detail stays that way: very fine. Bonus; they are very tough.

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I only ever use Vallejo primer, I prefer these as they last longer than a rattle can and I can spray them without needing to thin even using my .02mm needle.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Btw I sell it too ;)

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi,

Thanks to all, think you have made my mind up, get some of the Vallejo stuff. If it airbrushes straight from the bottle even better. Some of the white stuff I think, works with most things and perhaps a good ground for those darker colours like Germam grey, olive drab, especially if shading..

Regards

Mel.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I only ever use Vallejo primer, I prefer these as they last longer than a rattle can and I can spray them without needing to thin even using my .02mm needle.
I am amazed that you can get water through that one..... Bloody iphone? lol

Ian M

B

Bill's Bunker

Vallejo primer.

Hi,

Firstly thanks to all for your help. Today I received my Vallejo white primer. I had spent last night putting Tamiya's 1/16th "Rommel" figure together well all most. So that was the first candidate for a try, the primer went on a treat, covered well and dried to a nice finish...

But I soon learnt my first lesson don't use IPA or solvents to clean your airbrush, it turned into something like curdled milk and was quite a job to clean it all out. But the result was good, it should help me to judge colours better and help with shading, especially on the Drab US and British stuff.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 35815

View attachment 35816

rommel-1.jpg

rommel-2.jpg

T

tecdes

Mel I have used Vallejo airbrush cleaner since I started with Vallejo paints.

Not once has it let me down needle & nozzle clean as a whistle. Also any dried Vallejo paint will soften to clean about an hour or so after the event.

Also used it for thinning when using a .15 needle nozzle & this has worked well.

Laurie