Vallejo colour accuracy....opinions?

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Hey all.

Having struggled to get humbrol acrylics to pass through the airbrush satisfactorily I decided to switch to Vallejo on the advice given elsewhere and glad I did.

However, on comparing to an old model which was painted with humbrols the extra dark sea grey equivalent (110) seems very dark.

BBF43C81-06B5-4A78-9A2A-B7C608D160C9.jpeg

How do those in the know consider the accuracy of the Vallejo colours?

Thanks!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I wouldn't say i'm in the 'know' but some of their paint colours are really good. Some are not so good. For absolute accuracy i'll use Xtracrylix (especially their RLM range). But Vallejo suffices for most other things. Although if i can find a Tamiya equivalent that is just as or better than Vallejo i'll use it as i think it sprays far better

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Give it a day and compare again.
It may change as it cures totally.

Humbrol Dark Sea Grey ( 164 ) is Vallejo 987 Medium Grey

Vallejo Dark Sea Grey ( 991 ) is humbrol 27 or 40 or 140 , according to paint conversion system i have ( Humbrol paint converter )

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
If the whole surface is sprayed the same colour consistently , i.e. it doesnt have shades / areas of different tone , it should look ok.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I’m obviously assuming the humbrol is accurate!

Hence the reason i like Xtracrylix colours. They are considered by those 'in the know' to be one of, if not the best colours wise around. MRP a close second.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colour accuracy is a whole can of worms! How a full size colour appears depends on the light falling on surfaces, weather conditions,the age of the paint, how it is applied.
Perfect colour accuracy on a model is a matter of opinion - do you take into account scale effect?, or any of the 'real' conditions?
Also, do your eyes see what other peoples eyes see - colour wise? Think on your computer monitor/screen, and how pictures can differ screen to screen.
I would say, don't get too fixated on the claimed accuracy of a particular paint ( unless you're painting a Ferrari! ). I often paint colour swatches, onto a white background, to see which colour looks, to my eyes the best!P1060095.JPG
As you can see the photo doesn't do the colours justice!

I'm not saying ignore accuracy - but don't go overboard!
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks guys!

I guess what I’m asking is ‘are vallejo colours way out’.
I guess the answer is no, not if you don’t worry about it!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
the answer is no, not if you don’t worry about it!
That's right!
Another point is that the original paints vary too - look at a row of similar aircraft and the colours will vary, depending on when each plane was painted and the conditions it's been in since painting.

Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have had occasion to have two pots of the same makers paint, same named colour - but when opened - slightly different tone! - maybe a different batch/age?
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have had occasion to have two pots of the same makers paint, same named colour - but when opened - slightly different tone! - maybe a different batch/age?
Dave
The same happens with full-scale paint too - ever had a car repaired, and the new paint doesn't quite match?
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bring in colour temperature of the incidence light (tungsten, halide, LED, fluorescent, sodium, mid daylight, cloudy daylight, etc.) and you could create a rainbow.....
The bottom line is Chris, what looks right is right, and under different lights what is right may not look right.....so don’t get too hung up on it.
Just have fun, modellers colour nervosa is a bad disease to catch....

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
My only concern is significant divergence from the specified colours.
It doesn’t appear to be a concern here, so I’ll not be committing any further thought to it!
Thanks all! You’ve been most helpful as always.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
In my modelling formative years I was a railway modeller, and GWR green always gave the same arguments.....despite the heyday of the British railway system being the Edwardian era when paint was hand mixed from pigments and oil...the attitude being......it’s painted in 1910 GWR green from Swindon paintshop number two, when Fred Riley was foremen, October the fifth, I think it was Friday afternoon......

Wonder why it is always green that gives the arguments.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it’s painted in 1910 GWR green from Swindon paintshop number two, when Fred Riley was foremen, October the fifth, I think it was Friday afternoon.......
My father used to own a 1950s Alfa Romeo Guilietta, and he once mentioned that on discussion groups etc. for that, there were often questions and arguments about things like what colour the engine etc. were painted. The answer apparently given frequently was, “Whatever Luigi had at hand.”

Wonder why it is always green that gives the arguments.....
Could be because human eyes are more sensitive to green than other colours, so it’s easier to see differences in shades of green than in shades of red, yellow, blue, etc.?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As written above by members, there are so many variables re. paint colours and shades that just what is right or wrong is impossible to state. Get it something like, yes. But take into account the original paint batch, the weather, how thick/thin the paint was applied, the list is endless.....

More importantly to me anyway, and what I have observed with this thread is the constructive and civilized way the discussion has been conducted. Elsewhere such a subject would have become volatile and personal - Not here!

So top marks gents......:thumb2:

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Give ten modellers the same kit and you will end up with ten different colour variations of the said kit.
Don't get too hung up on colours as it will drive you mad.
Plus I think the vast majority of modellers couldn't give a toss about complete accuracy.
Have fun and if it looks right to you then it is right.