vallejo mat varnish

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Vallejo mat varnish,

I use this stuff quite a bit these days but couldn't help noticing that I'm not getting a true mat finish. This got me wondering, as the mat varnish is already quite thin, maybe I shouldn't be thinning any further? Do any other users thin the varnish, or just use it as it comes.

It doesn't say 'Model air', just 'matt varnish' on the label, No. 70.520 Now it does say on the back 'can be diluted' So, do you dilute or not ?

thanks,

Colin M...

T

tecdes

The varnish is for both Model & Model Air Colin. They used to market it under both types but they were the same.

Like Barry I airbrush it with out thinners. If you do thin use Vallejo thinners not water. To dilute or not depends on your airbrush size of needle & temperature etc. & experience.

My results have been matt with matt varnish. Are you varnishing over either a gloss or Klear applied for decals ? May be it needs a more coats to obliterate the gloss finish.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I normally thin it a little as I find that its just a touch thicker than I like things, having said that I have on occasion sprayed it direct from the bottle.

One thing that is 100% important is that the varnish is shaken very well before use.

Ian M

N

noble

i use it thinned with water and i find it works fantastic.

Scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
One thing that is 100% important is that the varnish is shaken very well before use.

Ian M
Bingo!!!

Ian has hit the nail on the head. If you don't thoroughly mix the matting agent (something akin to talcum powder) in the acrylic medium you are not spraying a full matt varnish.

Mix or agitate it until you think that you are done.....and then do it again before you use it.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for replying. I think I may be a little bit guilty of not shaking the bottle enough !