Vallejo Paints Drying Out?

N

Neill

Hi

Ive got a load of Model Air and Model Color that Ive had from the summer of 2011 but have never used. Just checked them last night and the level in the bottles has dropped in some of them. Some have of the colours have seperated from the pigment in the bottle while others look to have what looks to be dried out pigment around the top of the bottle.  They still sound like theres fluid in the bottles. I dont want to lose this paint if possible. I read that possibly adding distilled water might save them? Think the lifespan of these paints is 5 years anyway so I guess its my own fault :sad: 

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

J

John Rixon

My advice would be to remove the dropper inset, where the paint has dried up, clean them thoroughly (if it is resistant, soak them in Mr Muscle window cleaner - it dissolves Vallejo paint like it was made for the job!) then give each bottle a thorough shaking with your thumb over the top. This prevents further clogging of the dropper cap, and gives you a blob of paint on your thumb to inspect more closely! You'll soon know if they are going to re-mix into a workable paint at this stage, and you may get lucky, but once acrylic starts to cure, you'll not be wanting to force it through your airbrush!! Personally, I'd be wary of adding distilled water at this stage, but be prepared to add some Vallejo thinner to it before adding to your airbrush. Good luck, and do report back, this kind of knowledge base is invaluable to us all. 

J

John Rixon

...just to add, smelling it is a good plan too - paints can get a bit whiffy when they go "off"!

S

Stevekir

I have had trouble with Vallejo paint, Model Air, only a couple of years old, where strands of paint have occurred which will not mix. I had to decant the paint carefully, watching for these strands and catching them as they flowed out. I poured them out along a gutter I made out of poly card, held at a shallow angle to allow time to see the strands before they got to the receiving bottle or jar. I suspect the narrow spout end of the bottle is a trap allowing paint to dry out.