Variable pre-shading and mottling experiment.

S

Scuff

On my construction of this Tamiya 1/48 Dornier Do335 A12, my decision was to keep weathering to a minimum, as I feel that it would not be too war torn. But I wanted to show variation in the paint.

Normally a black panel line pre-shade followed by the paint and then panel centre highlighting would be done. I find ths difficult to spray, as lightening panels across the two colours of the splinter camouflage looked kinda wrong.

This time, a panel line pre shade with Tamiya XF-1 was followed by panel centre highlingting and mottling using XF-4 yellow green and then XF-2 white.

The top was roughly masked and the light green was sprayed. I used a heavily thinned MR Hobby RLM82 light green, building up light layers until I reached a point where the pre shading was just visible.

I think I will use this method more often. Mainly as it is very subtle and the effect is very controllable.

As usual, observations an comments are welcome.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice technique, I will be trying this in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a good looking result.

According to the production schedule "Lieferplan 227/1" of 15/12/44 the A-12 was to be a conversion from an A-1 carried out by Luther-Werke,Braunschweig (LWB)

The first of a proposed 60 was to be ready by July 45 which is a bit late! By this time these production plans had become fantasy.

You are right that a Do335 wouldn't be war torn,they never got into service with the exception of four trainers at a reccy unit.

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

\ said:
That's a good looking result.According to the production schedule "Lieferplan 227/1" of 15/12/44 the A-12 was to be a conversion from an A-1 carried out by Luther-Werke,Braunschweig (LWB)

The first of a proposed 60 was to be ready by July 45 which is a bit late! By this time these production plans had become fantasy.

You are right that a Do335 wouldn't be war torn,they never got into service with the exception of four trainers at a reccy unit.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. I have been trying to find out what the A-12 had in the bomb bay. I think that some long range fighters had an extra fuel tank fitted in there. The kit has a bomb included, but I'm not sure whether the trainer would have it, unless it was for bombing training.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It was the nightfighter versions that were to have extra fuel tanks to compensate for the reduction in tankage caused by the addition of the second seat. These comprised the A-6 from Dornier Werke Munche (DWM).The B-6 from Luther Werke Braunshweig(LWB),Heinkel Werke Oranienburg (HWO)and Bachman&Blumenthal Furth (BBF) and the B-7 also from HWO.

The plan was for a 310l tank in the leading edge of each wing,a jettisonable 500l tank in the bomb bay and hard points for 300l tanks under each wing. Total fuel capacity was to be 2,320l or a shade over 500 of our,Imperial,gallons.

Where all this fuel was going to come from is a different problem entirely!

The A-12 was to be a conversion from the A-1 bomber-destroyer (German abbreviation B-Z) version. I suspect the bomb bay was left as a bomb bay for training purposes.

Practice bombs were concrete,usually black with a normal tail unit bolted on. The vanes may have been left unpainted,otherwise just about any green or grey colour.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scuff

\ said:
It was the nightfighter versions that were to have extra fuel tanks to replace that lost by the addition of the second seat. These comprised the A-6 from Dornier Werke Munche (DWM).The B-6 from Luther Werke Braunshweig(LWB),Heinkel Werke Oranienburg (HWO)and Bachman&Blumenthal Furth (BBF) and the B-7 also from HWO. The plan was for a 310l tank in the leading edge of each wing,a jettisonable 500l tank in the bomb bay and hard points for 300l tanks under each wing. Total fuel capacity was to be 2,320l or a shade over 500 of our,Imperial,gallons.

Where all this fuel was going to come from is a different problem entirely!

The A-12 was to be a conversion from the A-1 bomber-destroyer (German abbreviation B-Z) version. I suspect the bomb bay was left as a bomb bay for training purposes.

Practice bombs were concrete,usually black with a normal tail unit bolted on. The vanes may have been left unpainted,otherwise just about any green or grey colour.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for taking the time to explain Steve. It's much appreciated and fascinating to learn the true history of the aircraft we build.

T

treyzx10r

Graham I like what you've done with the preshade variations ,thanks for sharing!

S

Scuff

In case you are interested and missed the thread, the completed paint job can be seen here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/15235-anteater-plenty-images.html