Varnish 101

First Name
Peter
I am new to this forum and returning to modelling after many decades away. Back then I just built models and painted them with a brush and was generally happy with life :smiling:

However I'm now trying to do things properly and have a question about varnish, which I see is recommended to give models some extra longevity.

My question is - does the varnish have to match the paint finish (matt on matt, gloss on gloss) to give the original finish for the model? If not, doesn't this change the expected finish of the model - if I varnished it all in gloss, for example? Or, do I varnish in the intended finish but paint the model solely in matt, for example? If the varnish finish gives the final finish, does the paint finish matter?

Sorry if this is a daft question. Thanks.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Welcome to the best modelling forum on the net.
There's no such thing as a daft question - only daft answers :thumb2:
Varnish on models serves a few different jobs. It certainly gives a final look. Matt on a tank, maybe satin on a plane and probably gloss on a race car. The paint finish before the varnish could be anything. As an example. Paint your tank with Matt paint, then gloss varnish to put on the decals and then matt varnish to seal in the decals and give a finished look. Simplified but you can see how it goes. Varnish can also act as a protective/isolating layer between different painting/weathering processes.
Read through some builds on here and you'll get an idea of when different varnishes are used.
The main thing is have a go and enjoy the hobby.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Peter.
You can use gloss over Matt and vis versa. In fact if I want a gloss red, or yellow finish I often paint in Matt the gloss clear coat to get a shiny finish.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Welcome to the forum. The others have answered your questions so there is nothing I can add. One thing you might try is use an old build or buy something really cheap and test on that. I have an old build I use it all the time for testing washes etc before working on the build in hand.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have an old build I use it all the time for testing washes etc
Turn+signals+on+a+land+raider+still+_9687a447a48ef4eda7103db0b8e43590.png

First Name
Peter
Peter,
Welcome to the forum. The others have answered your questions so there is nothing I can add. One thing you might try is use an old build or buy something really cheap and test on that. I have an old build I use it all the time for testing washes etc before working on the build in hand.
Yeah I've been using some abandoned models for developing my airbrush technique so I can extend that to trying different finishes, etc.

First Name
Peter
Remember if you want to use pigments for dust or mud effects they dont like a gloss finish. Thats why you find armour modellers use Matt varnish (Except when adding decals when they use Gloss varnish and then Matt once the decals have fully dried)
So no varnish over the weathering, then?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

You can use varnish over weathering details if, you are using pigments, powders etc and a pigment fixer the pigments will lose some vibrancy.

The sub wreck I made has various coats from spray paint, sponge work acrylics and rust pigment. This model has not had a seal coat and it has stood up to the test of time really well, it must a good few years old now. Comes off the shelf and gets a dust and it copes just fine.

Now, the support Tiger is a RC 1/16 and this had a coat of varnish as it is handled and also has decals so don't want them wearing and the pigments rubbing off.

I use gloss, normally just a bottle and brush on for the decal area, then finish with a matt varnish to seal.

Attachments

• $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 6
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P1012198.JPG
    P1012198.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P1012199.JPG
    P1012199.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1012205.JPG
    P1012205.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve

It dulls all the weathering that you have done. However there are those who like to do it.

I certainly do layers of pigments followed by matt varnish to build up effects. However once the pigment work is complete I would carry on with oil work and weathering to enhance the pigments

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Remember if you want to use pigments for dust or mud effects they dont like a gloss finish. Thats why you find armour modellers use Matt varnish (Except when adding decals when they use Gloss varnish and then Matt once the decals have fully dried)
Steve

Out of interest what are they over satin varnish?

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum Peter.
Nothing to add about the varnish as it's been covered .

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This thread should be pinned! So useful because I too find varnishing scary.

While I'm here, could you chaps explain the difference between varnish and "clear", if any please? For example, do Revell 1&2 (clear matt and gloss from memory) perform the same as a specific matt or gloss varnish, or do they have a different purpose?

Oh, and welcome Peter!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well dont quote me Andy, but I would say clear coat is a "term" used for any transparent coating be it varnish, lacquer, or indeed the floor polish called clear. The later being also quite good for cleaning and protecting floors with. Only a rumour though as I have only ever used it as a model clear coat.