Ventilation

N

Neill

When any of you get use glue, decal fix, thinners etc (or any of the chemicals that we must use to achieve a good finish) do you ever worry about breathing "fumes" in? This has me concerned as I will be doing any gluing etc in my house. I don't know if I am over reacting. I have given up any hope of using my brand new airbrush in the house until I can either get sorted out with a spray booth or until the summer arrives. This obviously leaves me the option of brush painting the models. I will be using oils, enamels and acrylics and other chemicals as mentioned but surely there can't be to much of a threat if I sit in my living room building and painting etc? I guess to sum up what I am saying is that I have only really thought that any danger was posed to me through airbrushing indoors and the danger posed through this with ionised particles in the air. Surely I wouldn't need to take the step of gluing with my half face charcoal filter spray mask on!!!! Is ventilation or the simple process of opening a window (especially when its really cold!!) really that important when I am using glue, decal fix etc in such small amounts over say a one to two hour building period? All thoughts are much appreciated. :xyxthumbs:

R

Radleigh.

Get a fan for the room when using glues etc to circulate the air and have a window open a tiny notch. I've been using choreiform to glue my models together for years (can get it through work, the model makers use it!) and i've been fine.

Painting, I normally go out into the shed, little heater, window open and have a face mask if i'm doing loads. If i'm doing a small bit I won't bother. I am a painter by trade in the films and deal with all sorts of fumes/smells day in day out. So long as your sensible you'll be fine. Nothing wrong with being to paranoid, paint is nasty stuff!

B

Bunkerbarge

I would suggest simple precautions as already suggested. If you feel the smells are strong then improve the ventilation a bit. I've never worried about glue smells as generally they are very mild and I'm not glueing huge surfaces and releasing lots of solvents at the same time. I would just ensure a flow of air by opening a door or window a small amount.

N

Neill

I know it sounds like a stupid question but its good to hear others peoples opinions and the way your peers go about their model making. Thanks lads. I don't feel quite as a paranoid now.:cheesygrin:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree. You don't use much glue on a model and being a tight wad I always put the top back on between uses to avoid the damned stuff evaporating!

Painting enamels by brush I think the same principles apply.

Airbrushing any type of paint is something else altogether. I spray in a well ventilated area,virtually out doors,which is fun at this time of year. I also wear a mask. This was discussed in a recent thread and I think we all agree that it's not worth risking your health for the sake of a decent mask,the price of a couple of average kits.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

Great point raised Niell , and a very serious subject , some stuff we use can cause serious health issues in the long term , I can only speak for myself but for glueing I tend to just open a window if that but for airbrushing acrylics I use the cheapish Expo spray booth which its great no smell or vapour , I also airbrush Zero paints and Alclad which are solvent based and very much similar to enamels and the expo spray booth struggles with them , saying that Expo have just brought out an add on extraction tube that bolts on the back which you can put out of an open window , how well it works I don`t know but I`m looking at getting one ,

also when using Alclad and Zero paints I use a mask and the spray booth

Richy

AFC

First Name
Andre
Just reading this thread...I guess I'm also a bit paranoid about this.

As I have no sheds, balconies nor garages my best option is to do my paint work with spraygun in the bathroom close to the window.

Any other (cheap) ideas to improve ventilation for those who live in a flat?

Cheers