Verlinden 200mm Lavr Kornilov Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5467.JPG

While I've got the 'flu, I thought I'd try and work on something simpler than the Tamiya US Infantryman, so I've opted for this Verlinden bust.

It purports to depict Lt Col Lavr Kornilov of the Russian White Army c.1920:

Генералъ-отъ-инфантерiи.jpgkornilov_orig.jpg

As you can see, not a great likeness, but a nice sculpt. The face has a scar across the nose and cheeks, which he must have had, though I haven't been able to find photographs where it's obvious.

The box contents:

100_5465.JPG

The usual Verlinden quality, with thankfully, a limited amount of clean-up required.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ready to paint:

100_5468.JPG

Nearly sliced my thumb off removing the casting block from the head - luckily my wife was on hand with the Elastoplast.

I had to remove the piping from the crown of the cap as sections of it were damaged - it will be easier to paint in anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

The face is more-or-less done:

100_5474.JPG100_5475.JPG100_5476.JPG

Not having done any painting for a couple of weeks, it took a looooong time to get my hand in. The most difficult part was blending the various colours on the cheeks, always a laborious process. The cap and collar are just blocked in for now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You're right, he doesn't look like him but your painting has actually improved the likeness. Well I think so anyway :smiling5:.

luckily my wife was on hand with the Elastoplast.
Oh to have medical skills!!! You could have bled to death, pale and slumped over your bench, brush in hand.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Paul - I bet the scar was from a shaving accident.

Jim - I think he looks a bit Yoda-like. As for having a doctor in the house, she may be a psychiatrist, but I will admit that she does have some first-aid skills.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Looking nice, your painting that is he has a face only a mother could love lol.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wouldn’t trust him...looks like he’s up to mischief :thinking: You make the bad guys look good though

Be careful with your knives Peter....don’t want to damage those talented pinkies!!

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie and Si - Glad you like him so far. Apparently he organised a coup against the Kerensky government, escaped jail, then commanded anti-Bolshevik forces. He was actually killed by a shell in 1918, so Verlinden have got the date wrong.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's one hell of scar. Probably got it in WWI or the revolution. Is his cheeks rosy because of your thumb?? LOL

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - He probably got the scars during the Russo-Japanese war. I bled only on myself, as any brave soldier would do. Still, might see if blood mixes with acrylics next time.

D

Deleted member 6559

Today's work:

100_5479.JPG100_5480.JPG100_5481.JPG

Sorry for the poor photos - lost the light.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter you have captured more of a likeness than the person who did the box art, I hope it wasn't you, looking like Mr Beetroot head.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Cheers

Pete - The box art is by Francois Verlinden himself. His stuff looks much better in close-up. He used to put gloss varnish on the eyes, which tended to make them catch the light unnaturally. Glad you like my efforts so far.

Jim - Thanks also.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Looking for uniform reference I found these:

Cap-Tsarist-Russia-Kornilov-Regiment-WWI.jpgfde8c3b1ffeffa763ed20ba9f1a32026.jpg

Kornilov Shock Regiment. The shoulder boards are going to be a challenge to paint.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As for having a doctor in the house, she may be a psychiatrist, but I will admit that she does have some first-aid skills.
My son-in-law is a consultant plastic surgeon, and has exactly zero first-aid skills! Apparently they're not taught first-aid, that's someone else's job.
Pete

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Excellent bounce back from the flu.

Your facial work is always superb, the texture and eyes are a signature.

Wounds and flu, you have been in the wars!

Its a cold start up here, 4 C and a bright red sun rise.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Still got 'flu I'm afraid, but at least painting helps take my mind off it.

This is what he now looks like:

100_5485.JPG100_5486.JPG

I started with the shoulder boards today and they were a bit of a nightmare - white piping on a half black /half red background with silver stars and ciphers. Decided to crack on and do the medals, leaving just the tunic and shoulder patch to do.