Verlinden 200mm Panzergrenadier Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2029.JPG
This will be my first full build here, a gift from Richard Pearce for services rendered to Mookies Minitures.
The bust is clearly based on the famous Kampfgruppe Hansen photos, although this chap is wearing a camo smock rather than the Zeltbahn (or US poncho, depending on who you believe) of the well known character in that group.
166389-66a70426e7e91ca2f78e3b0ceb794865.jpg

The casting is of the usual Verlinden high standard, as is the modelling. The chap's eyebrows are rather strange thin raised lines, which will have to be doctored, but apart from that it will just need a quick clean up before painting begins. The ammo belt looks like it may be fiddly to do, as each round has to be attached separately, although I suppose they could be first mounted onto a piece of thin foil.

Anyway, watch along if you're interested, and of course c&c is always welcome.

Peter.

PS If anyone can tell me how to load photos into the media files I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• 100_2030.JPG
    100_2030.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 28

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
I'll be interested on how you finish his face as the boxart looks a bit wierd to me, no doubt I'll know by tomorrow, sorry can't helpwith photos at the moment but I'm sure the other folks on here will help you.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Peter,
Well the guy on the box art will not win any prizes at the beauty pagent:smiling5: I’m sure you paint him to look a million $’s
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi Peter
Nice to see you here.
Jim is right about the face on the box art - almost skull like. There are a lot of rounds on that ammo belt. Should slow you down a bit sticking them on :rolling:
Jim

F

Fenlander

Will be watching this with interest. Never loaded Media files before but if you drop down the Media Menu then select ‘Your Media’ from the drop down, you will see an Add Media button in orange top right.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter. will follow of course.Look half starved, and no doubt was .
I had thought about the albums as well, but couldn't see how. So thanks to Graham. :thumb2: Off to have a look .
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Peter
I thought you were ill!! A whole day without a figure to paint?? Are you okay mate?:smiling5:
Seriously, it will be great to see you work your magic as busts are your strongest subject. Good luck
Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John and Peter .
I've just loaded up some photos with out a problem., but inserting them is proving to be harder ! They appear, but have no idea how to post .
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right, up loaded no problem, when I first tried using the camera icon above, you see them , but can't move .So went to Media at the top of the page .All photos are there, did a copy and pasted onto here .
John .
1525014320567.png

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Howdy shipmates.
Nice to see Peter putting the Verlinden bust to good useage.Someof Verlindens faces are hmm suspect.This chap had a fair old whack from the ugly stick me thinks.Fell from ugly tree and hit every branch on way down.Weave your magic Mr.D.
Richard

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I thought they based him on your avatar:smiling6::smiling6::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Where did you all come from? Good to see old and new friends alike. Not ill Steve, just had to go shopping with my daughter for material for her art A 'Level' course work - such joy!

Yep, that is one peculiar face and it has been somewhat 'challenging' to paint. I removed the odd eyebrows, but the modelling above the eyes was very odd and it took me a long time to come up with
a best solution (and lots of dark words).

Anyway, I've done the best I can, and I think he looks reasonably human now. I couldn't resist putting a gold tooth into the middle of that otherwise perfect display of teeth:
100_2032.JPG

Thanks Jim and Graham for help with the photos. I can load pictures direct from my files with no problem. Using the 'Attach files' option links them to my computer's 'Photos' option, which then provides a slide show. Using your method Jim, inserts the picture without the link. My problem is that there seems to be only two size option, the 'full image' being massive. I've tried the Media option, but am getting no load files link.

Peter.

E

Evan James

So good to see you here Peter, I'll be watching this one with great interest. It was awesome to see your article in MM too, sorry I didn't say earlier. :tongue-out3:
ev

First Name
Andrew
Peter,
Delighted that so many friends are here and that I can continue to enjoy your work! I will post myself in the future, when life is a bit more settled.
Andy B

D

Deleted member 6559

Afternoon. Here's the result of today's session:

100_2034.JPG100_2037.JPG

I started by painting the helmet, which was done by dry-brushing various greys and gunmetals over a dark grey base. I then moved on to the scarf and field jacket collar.

I next painted the turned back sections of the smock. The box artist has got it wrong showing them the same as the front of the smock, as of course it should have the reverse pattern on one side - I intend to do autumn oaf leaf on the outside, so have attempted the spring pattern on the inside.

Lastly, I added and painted the knife handle.

Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Good to see you've joined Andy. So sorry that we won't see any more Trench Section updates in the mag. Still, as you say, you have gone global, so your work is not hard to find. Hope that you're not getting any soggier in this appalling weather.

Peter.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well your progress so far is a great deal better than the box art. No surprise there :smiling:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim.

The problem with Verlinden is that he always put gloss varnish on the eyes, which caused them to become a mass of reflections when photographed for the box art. He seems to have splashed it about a bit here.

Peter.