Vickers E Mk B Light Tank, 1/35, MirageHobby

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
so since the Porsche is temporarily on the back burner til I can lay my hands on some paint I thought I would start this as I want to try a few things and don't want to do it to an expensive kit

Vickers E mk B light tank by Mirage Hobby who are a Polish company ive never tried before....picked the kit up at a show for a whopping 4 quid! so I don't mind if it all goes a bit Pete Tong...the guy had quite a few different ones all at the same price, wish i had got more now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-Ton

I'm actually quite impressed with the quality....not quite Tamiya but comparable to Italerai or best that Revell can do

not sure what scheme I'm going to do.....the two schemes on the instructions are both Polish Army from mid to late 1930's....one is a very difficult one similar to WW2 Japanese type......the other is very similar to late WW2 German tri-colour, which I might do just for the practice, but it might also just go a dark green

since it dosnt come with any figures i might include one out of this lot, will decide when the time comes

P

Polux

Seems a nice kit!

There are some interesting products by unknown brands...O_o

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good to me, and i like it also o_O

will keep an eye on it

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
this is turning out to be a great little kit!

filled up the interior with some big nuts to add some mass to the whole thing, also added a small nut under all that central plasticine with a hole in the bottom of the hull so i can use some thread rod as a handle

ive put together Thomasz the Tank Commander

the kit comes with a modification the Poles did to their tanks,...they found the engines overheated due to lack of airflow so they made some ducting to force air into the engine compartment

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
so its pretty much together, primed and ready for painting

must admit it, Thomasz is an ugly bugger lol

i was toying with doing a three colour camo scheme but ive settled on just a plain green one

two reasons really, one is this was only ever meant to be a test mule to try a chipping/weathering technique ive never done before so i dont want to over complicate things

the second is, since its just going to be a plain colour i thought id try practicing pre-shading, its something ive never really got to work, mainly cos i think im too heavy handed

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i hope this is going to work lol

stage one of this process is to make what is essentially a enamel paint using matt enamel varnish, enamel thinners and rust pigments

it helps apparently to have different shades of rust

and it dosnt need to be too neat

this will now get a day or so to dry.....cant do anything til saturday afternoon anyway thanks to work getting in the way, i also need enough time to airbrush the three different colours for the camo in one day

im going back to the 3-colour camo as i dont think im going to be able to do the preshading as it will mess up the chipping/rusting technique so i may as well ahve a go at the camo as i do have the three shades needed

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
im dying to get on with this, things keep getting in the way....like work!

but ive done the adding the latex with a bit of a sponge........might get to put on the base coat of yellow tomorrow, and the brown and green on monday.....then the fun really begins

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
filled up the interior with some big nuts
You've only just started it and it's driving you NUTS! Seriously I'm going to follow this as I'm starting to get interested in Tanks and figures. Good luck with the build. :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, interesting technique you are using did read about it, but having some pics definitely better.

Will keep a close eye on this.:cool:

Cheers Richi

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
managed to get the camo on today

the instructions show either a Japanese style patchwork camo which looks incredibly difficult or a tri colour stripey one, which i have had a crack at

going to leave it til tomorrow to really dry before piggling off the Maskol

colours are a little bright at the moment but some wash and some matt varnish should tone it all down a bit

D

dubster72

That's looking good & the colours are different, which makes a nice change.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
the colours are different, which makes a nice change.
actually they are the same three colours used on late WW2 German Panzers............it called for dark yellow, green and brown.....but the pattern is just bold bands....i actually got it a bit wrong looking back but i aint redoing it lol

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
couldnt wait any longer lol

used a blob of blutac to rub over the surface to remove the maskol and ended up with this

now the interesting bit.............since i used an enamel varnish at the start i can use enamel thinners to reactivate the weathering powders

plan is to try and move the powders around a bit and make some streaks

need to do a bit more cos i think i got heavy handed, need to be more subtle, but then the whole thing was to try out the technique

going to try and clean up the streaks a little, then let it really dry off so i can give it a coat of Kleer, then i can add a wash

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i hope to have this finished in a few days.......unless i decide to add some more weathering lol