Vickers Wellington III - a couple of questions.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am building the Trumpeter 1/48 kit of this under rated aircraft.

Two questions perhaps someone could answer.

1/. Is the internal geodesic framework meta or wood? I suspect metal. The answer will determine whether I dry brush with metal powder or brown pigment.

2/ the side window guns. Would it be right not to leave them poking out of the side windows for a parked up aircraft? These will be incredibly vulnerable just cemented into place so I am trying to decide whether to leave them off or stacked inside. If I need to have them poking through the side windows I will have to cut the barrels off to add as a final fitting.

In the meantime. I have tried my first wood panels. A spray of Ochre Wood then a Earth MiG Oli Brusher to give it a wood grain. I think they look OK and as so little will be seen will work well. What do you think on this.

image.jpg

I will post a completed build thread when done.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Regarding question 2, I think it very likely that the machine guns would have been taken off/out for cleaning and service after a sortie.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good choice. The poor old Wellington deserves a better reputation. Wood looks nice and wooden.
Over eleven thousand built, more than any other bomber type, the only British bomber built right through the war, and with a reputation for bring crews back despite heavy damage due to the toughness of the geodetic framework. Don’t think it’s reputation was bad at all really Jim. ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Aluminium/Duralumin - rolled to form the geodetic members. Most of the work on this form of construction was overseen by Barnes Wallis ( of Dambuster fame ) as a follow on to the Wellesley & the R100 airship. The Wellington was a workhorse for the RAF, overshadowed by its' bigger contemporaries. My favourites are the GR marks used on anti-submarine patrols..........
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think most people tend to think the war was won by Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters. So perhaps "better reputation" should be replaced by "greater recognition". :thumb2:
Perhaps “Target for tonight” should be mandatory viewing for Joe public….

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Many thanks everyone for your help. I am glad to see that there is a general agreement that the Wimply was under rated and deserves more recognition.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Like Barry said. Very helpful info, for when I get around to doing mine.

ATB.

Andrew