Viking

First Name
Andrew
Hi, I'm afraid that I got stuck with my Native American because he requires so much cleaning up, especially round his feathered bonnet. The moulding must have been very difficult but it has lots to clean up and I am bored at the moment, so have put it on hold to return to at some time in the future.

Meanwhile, I've picked up an old Viking from my stash made by a company called Seil, who are no longer around sadly. It's a 54mm white metal figure, so I can burnish the metal and add washes onto it. He's looking up to the heavens and crying out and I've decided to have hi in front of a stone cross. My idea is that he has just slaughtered some priests and is crying out to God in the joy of his easy victory. I was struck by the fact that he stands in a crucifix stance, which is picked up by the cross.

I got the cross off Ebay as a second-hand item. It was cast in black resin and on close examination I found a host of air bubbles. Having spent several hours fixing bubbles I gave it the bottom plinth pieces and sprayed it. After giving a base coat and a Burnt Umber wash, I then specked it to make it more stony. Since then I've dry-brushed it. It's nearly there, but I will add a little moss to it.
Andy

DSCN1934.JPGDSCN1933.JPGDSCN1935.JPG

MikeNZ

Mike The Kiwi
First Name
Mike
Neat seeing this little classic from Yury Serebriakov coming to life Andy mate!
Like large cross you’ve resurrected for this vignette - what groundwork have you got planned?
And you’ve got to get back to finish of Little Bird too after such a nice start on him.
MikeTheKiwi

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy.....looking forward to seeing you get some paint on this guy. Looks like he has a pretty good "grouch" on and is looking for trouble!! WOT....no horns on the helmet? ;)
Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Nice idea. The cross will work well with the figure.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should be a good one. Plenty of texture to bring out interest in the paint job.

First Name
Andrew
Hi
Not much progress but some. I'm busy with my book which will be published any day now. It was due today but is now due for 1st June. I also have a base released by Tommy's War today.

I've attached my cross to a base which I carved in polyurethane.

DSCN2001.JPG
This material carves very well into stony like textures. It's similar to the balsa foam that you guys can buy. I have the luxury of scraps from work.
DSCN2002.JPG
I cheated by burnishing the white metal and then adding was into all the metal work. I still have gold bits to add.
DSCN2004.JPGDSCN2005.JPG
I added some moss on he cross.
DSCN2006.JPG
The moss was made from ground olive stones which you can buy. I added yellow cellulose paint and then mixed it until it dried and I could break it into granules again. The beauty is that it is very fine granules.
DSCN2007.JPG

Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting SBS here. Fabulous techniques on display.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Saying no more other than WOW.

First Name
Andrew
I've been working on my Viking slowly. The two halves of his body are stuck together but I have only put base coats on him so far plus a bit of wash. There's plenty to do and that won't be soon as I'm working on presents for my wife's sixtieth birthday. I've cut a label using the label of the box ,which was a shiny print. I will add a black frame to it eventually.
My book being published has been delayed even more and in not due until 16th June now. Google 'Andy Belsey Book' and you'll find it.
Andy

DSCN2025.JPGDSCN2026.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
He's coming on a treat. That base does look suitably rocky.
Jim

And a very happy 60th to Mrs Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is Really nice Andy....keep it coming Sir. Rick H. :thumb2:

First Name
Andrew
I was making presents for my wife two weeks ago and then away last week so I've not had much opportunity to work on my Viking. I've been painting his shield and working on his legs while I remind myself how to paint. I leave long gaps between and have to get the practice back!

Here's my battle weary shield.
DSCN2329.JPG
And its wooden back.
DSCN2330.JPG
I made a paper template to mark out the curves. I was then able to paint it all yellow. Mark the segments in pencil and then paint red.
DSCN2333.JPG
Here's the template on the shield.
DSCN2334.JPG
And here's the Viking's legs which I've been working on. I have base colour on everything but will shade it all further. I like to work and then refine.
DSCN2335.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's looking the Dog's Andy....that shield looks like it's been through a lot of "disagreements" and has held together remarkably well......And a belated "Happy Birthday" to your missus. :thumb2: Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That shield is excellent. Clever idea to make a template.
Jim

Last edited: