Wall filler and Klear

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm designing a dio at the moment and wanted to use wall filler for something. Was just wondering if i can use Klear (Future) to seal the filler after it has dried?

Anyone know?

F

Fenlander

cannot see why not. May take a few coats though as plaster soaks everything up like a very thirsty thing. I would use watered down, not too thin, PVA as it gives a great surface to then stick the scatter material to. However, Klear would be best for the finished item but remember it is glossy so a matt spray would be required.

R

Richy C

Hi flounder , Graham has made some good points , being an ex-decorator filler can be a pain to seal , anything water based will just get sucked in leaving it patchy no matter how many coats you give it , if it was me I would give it 2 coats of oil based or enamel paint , when in the trade we used to cover filler with oil based undercoat to get a top finnish .

Hope this helps

Richy.

T

tonyb6000

\ said:
I would use watered down, not too thin, PVA
Fen that's your answer to everything today! Good advice tho. You too Richy, you the man.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Gonna have to think about this one then.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
cannot see why not. May take a few coats though as plaster soaks everything up like a very thirsty thing. I would use watered down, not too thin, PVA as it gives a great surface to then stick the scatter material to. However, Klear would be best for the finished item but remember it is glossy so a matt spray would be required.
Cheers for the info Graham. I'm not actually going to be sticking scatter to it and i need the surface to look glossy hence why i asked about klear. But if the pva gives a glossy finish then that might work.

Can pva be painted over with enamels/acrylics?

F

Fenlander

Not only can PVA be painted over but it can have acrylic paint mixed into it to colour it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
oooo now that would help alot. Cheers (again) Graham