Water block

First Name
Drew
Hey Polux, sorry for the late reply.

I would definitely line your container with some sort of oil as I had to break the plastic cups to get them out.

I've now ordered some more so I can get moving with my river now!

P

Polux

Hi to all!!

This evening I have painted and decorated Tilly. I wanted to end with it and to see everything made!! I believe have bad news!!! have done photos of the whole process where Tilly can meet the filling of the container and the dip of. My resin was blue (I put 3 drops of green Vallejo), to create a bit from color to dirty water. Everything seemed be OK ... and I have prepared my dinner, once I have eaten have looked as it was quite...

The container is melting!!!

The resin has increased of volume and is very, very warmly!!!

I cannot see Tilly, if any thing is that even it stays... Following Ian's recommendations, I have done the process by night and with few heat!!! I do not understand what it has happened!! The boat was of 750 ml and with his catalyst, my container was of this size, so it is not a problem of the catalyst (point had to put it).

I will wait to tomorrow!! But I am afraid the worst thing ... probably my Crashed SIG finishes this way.... I do not understand anything!!!

Regards

Polux

P

phalinmegob

got my fingers crossed for you polux. the resin i used never seemed to even get warm and it was mixed in thin plastic beaker which never even distorted. did you use the correct amount of catalyst.

P

Polux

Here you have the photos of the process of "filling resin". I have many doubts still about knowing that it happened …. Several hypotheses:

Correct Resin? (There are people who says that there did not give heat and others if ….)

Probably the catalyst? (Many quantity? One was giving a small flask for the whole jar of resin ….)

The fact of putting 3 drops of painting Vallejo?

Probably was it a reaction with the different washes of painting with thinner not the sufficient thing dry?

They are many doubts, true, but my anxieties for creating this block will not finish here, I have lost a battle not the war.

I will look for another different product and I will try different options.

In the photos you can observe the clearest blue color once mixed and already black once again I dry, with the whole melted and spoilt container, and with Tilly …. Well ….where is it????!!!!

:fool:

Regards

Polux

View attachment 46156View attachment 46157View attachment 46158View attachment 46159View attachment 46160

View attachment 49200

View attachment 49201

View attachment 49202

View attachment 49203

View attachment 49204

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

block3.jpg

block4.jpg

block5.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So Sorry for you Polux Just a thought if you have any resin left, try some with the moss/plants that you used with the Tilly just to see if it was them that made it dark . Allso try it without colour and good luck with the rest of the war

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude I bet you really enjoyed whacking that with the hammer. I feel for you. The amount of work you put into the tilly and all.

I was wondering if it might of been a case of just to much resin in one go. It was a big lump!

If you have the resin I suggest a retry. Just a simple build painted with the paints you normally use. Then Just use the resin with a tiny drop of colour and pour it in several layers. A lot of work mixing it every time but it might be the solution.

A think I have been thinking of trying is the stuff you make 'jelly' candles with but I dont know what its made from.... Also the Vallejo clear water resin is worth a look but again not sure how well that will work in a big block.

Ian M

First Name
Drew
I wondered if it may have been too much resin at once. If you're in no rush to do the river for your Smaug diorama I will be starting to create the river in my 'Nam diorama soon (as soon as the resin arrives).

I was planning on doing this in small stages (3-5mm at a time).

Fingers crossed it works!!

:praying:

P

phalinmegob

the deepest part of my dio was about 18mm thick poured in one go, i had soldiers standing in the water allthough not that deep and there was no problems with heat or distortion to their legs. the catalyst had to be 1-2% only of the mix. i would imagine that if too much catalyst was added then this could possibly make it go off quicker and cause it to get hot. i would not know for sure ,i am just guessing.

P

Polux

Hi mates!

I am thinking about all your comments!!

I believe that the principal mistake (probably) was a wrong management of the catalyst. And to this problem we add painting and not dry washes to 100 % and some of the added complements... Well, already you know the result.

Too much heat in a little time, the reaction was very violent!! As you comment I will return to try with a simple Kit, but I believe that with a big equal block, it is important to know if the size of the block influences the final result.

Thank you very much to help me guys!!! I will post my second experience early, I hope!!

Cheers

Polux