We get mail-Planking a boat hull.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Dear Sir,

Despite my ageing years I am new to Balsa Modelling. I was given an Artesania Latina kit of the 'Bremen - Krabben Kutter' which comes with all the necessary wood (die-cast) and a set of tools. I have been looking at the instructions and am very concerned because it seems I have to 'crack' the balsa strips, with the given tool, to make the hull and in a couple of places do it twice because of the two changes of direction. My problem is that despite surfing the Internet I am unable to find anywhere that can either tell me how(in words of one syllable!) or where I can go to get this advice.This looks a lovely model to make but, frankly, I am scared stiff of it! I have only ever made plastic kits like airfix or tamiya etc. Please can you help with advice or pointing in the right direction?

Regards, Chris Pollard

*** Chris,no need to be scared,the tool you refer to is called a 'Planking tool' it is like a pair of pliers but has a variety of interchangeable heads,all that happens is the sharp edge crimps into the wood grain thus enabling it to take the shape required,working across the grain it enables the planking to be pre-shaped before any adhesive is applied,another tip is once the planks have been thus creased just draw them slowly under a piece of wood dowel,this breaks the fibres and it makes them easier to handle.

Building in wood is so rewarding,and I am sure that once you get into this model and take the plunge then you will really enjoy it.

Most places that sell model boat kits and accessories sell these tools which only cost a few pounds,but you would be stuck without one.

B

Bunkerbarge

The other part of the equation is that as you get towards the ends of the hull you will have to reduce the width of the planks as well to accommodate the curving in of the hull.

Very time consuming and frustrating but there is nothing more attractive and satisfying than a nicely varnished, planked hull. I may have a go if I ever get to retirement age!