Weathering and fading camo

N

Neill

Just thought I'd get a few opinions on how to weather 1/35 german figures that I am going to be painting in the pea dot or oak leaf camo patterns. I have a couple of articles in magazines but I dont want my SS or wehrmacht troops to look like they've been given brand new uniforms. Does any one also seal their figures in with matt varnish after painting?

Off subject here a bit but how hard is it to replace heads with the much talked about Hornet ones? I take it it would involve a Dremel multi tool ( possibly melt the plastic me thinks!) ? Thanks in advance as always gentlemen.

First Name
Tommy
Hello Neill,

The best way (in my opinion) to achieve a worn look to the uniforms/clothes is not to weather them but to mix your paint so it become more faded.

Take a look here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed-figures/13532-ss-rottenfuehrer-ardennes-1944-a.html I have mixed my paint to make the helmet cover appear more worn than the rest of his uniform.

I never use any varnish on my figures.

You don't need a dremel tool to modify your figures, a sharp hobby knife, file (both round and flat in different small sizes), sandpaper and putty.

I managed to get myself some dentist tools (not electrical) and they are perfect when sculpting and modifying figures. But absolutely nothing you actually need.

And do not melt your figures or parts!! If you need to, for example, bend a arm or leg a little bit then you can gently heat up the part and bend it a little, repeat until you get your desired result. Be very careful when doing this.

Tommy

B

Buttonman

Hi, I think the best way to copying aged and fadded uniforms is to look at the reall thing, being ex millitary i have quite a lot of old bits and pieces even foregn kit i have some old flecktarn trousers worn and torn mainly knees bum and between the legs where they rub together. when they bought out the new 95 soldier system the trousers would wear almost see through .

Hope this helps

Martin