Weathering and Shading at 1:144

P

PirateOneOne

Hi Modellers!

As an inexperienced painter, without an airbrush, I was hoping someone could sling me a couple of tips as to how I should go about shading and final coat weathering at a very small scale. All help will be appreciated, I'm trying to build up a first time diorama to go with the three AH64D Longbows I have in the stash!

Thanks a lot, Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
On this scale it is just basic highlights Steve, I would avoid weathering as it can look too much and out of scale. Just use a soft dry brush and a bit black around nozzles, use a pencil on equipment rub around edges to show wear.

Si:smiling3:

P

PirateOneOne

Cheers Si, you have been most helpful on all aspects of this build!

Steve

D

dubster72

I'm with Si Steve - trying too much at such a small scale is hard!

You could search for builds on here in 1/144 - a guy called Francesco does quite a lot in that scale, look for Ziper_it builds.

P

PirateOneOne

Thanks guys, should I apply a pencil rub after primer, before paint? Or after the final Olive Drab?

Steve

D

dubster72

The pencil is to highlight worn paint, simulating a metallic sheen so do that last of all.

It's a more subtle effect than using silver paint.

P

PirateOneOne

Lovely, thanks Dubsta.

Weathers good so might actually get some primer down today!

Steve.

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Hi Modellers!As an inexperienced painter, without an airbrush, I was hoping someone could sling me a couple of tips as to how I should go about shading and final coat weathering at a very small scale. All help will be appreciated, I'm trying to build up a first time diorama to go with the three AH64D Longbows I have in the stash!

Thanks a lot, Steve
Give us few pics so we know what aspects that can be weathered :smiling3:

P

PirateOneOne

\ said:
Give us few pics so we know what aspects that can be weathered :smiling3:
I will, as I have three airframes, the first shall be a test piece, but unfortunately due to poor weather and lack of space I am unable to prime or paint right now. As an inexperienced modeller I plan on small scale subshading, and limited weathering if any. Probably with a pencil! Thanks for taking an interest!

Steve

P

phikoleoputra

I used pencil powder before and it works quite well, not too much weathered if u know what i mean. Looking forward for the result mate

Z

Ziper_it

Hi Steve,

Without an airbrush I would go with oil washing and filtering.

For an operative olive drab camo you could use a dark brown to highlight panel lines and rivets.

Then you could:

- Highlight some panels with ocra yellow (paint with highly diluited oil color).

- Add some striking with white oil to represent paint fading or black to represent dirt and grease (take a minimal amount of oil color well diluited and make some small points where you want the strake to start, then rub it down with a flat hard, dry brush).

- Add dust with sand or white artist pastels (sand the pastel and apply the powder with a brush).

For all the effects it is better to proceed by steps allowing the paint to dry before strengthening the effect).

... and try on a non visible part of the model or even better on a caviar.

Hope this helps,

Francesco

P

pbhawkin

Hi Steve,

don't be put off by the scale.

Weathering in any scale is to make it look more realistic, more used and in the smaller scales less toy-like.

Here is a current WiP of a resin Beaufort in 1/144 I am doing.

You can follow the full build on Aeroscale at;

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=234312&page=1

And the current state of play:

View attachment 108232

k9Wuw6.jpg