Weirdest thing. . . . ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
This is beyond strange, I'm sifting through the stash looking for inspiration and I find this. . .

how odd (1).jpg

an Amodel Yak 28L , I got this to build as a pilot trainer at 'Shimoji Island' airbase in 2024 from from the anime series 'Stratos 4' (2003)

You remember the Airfix TSR2 MS also from Stratos 4? Well, in the series it's all supposed to happen this year, so an ideal time to build it to go with my TSR2 MS!

The Yak27's appear 2:50 in this YouTube video. Also in the series the TSR2 MS are replaced by MiG31 MS, I have an ICM kit for that purpose!

. . . however, back to the point, I lifted the lid and found this?

how odd (2).jpghow odd (3).jpghow odd (4).jpg

A 1975 pressing of Airfix Dornier Do17! I have 'no' idea where this has come from? I haven't build a WWII German aircraft since this kit was new!

Miko (cue Twilight Zone theme music - nu nu nunu nu nu nunu nu nu. . . . ) Ha!

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nah, the Yak 28 is just ugly. If you’re looking for weird planes, here’s the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda:

Airacuda_Bell_XFM-1_%2815954491367%29.jpg

(Wikimedia Commons)

It’s basically the American take on the “heavy fighter” concept that produced things like the Bf 110 and Fokker G1 — except those were actually good at that job :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I do think I missed the point, and reading your post again, only now does the penny drop: I missed the line that says that inside that box is another kit. I was already wondering where the Do 17 came into the “weird” part of the story, as it’s a pretty normal-looking plane :smiling3:

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I do think I missed the point, and reading your post again, only now does the penny drop: I missed the line that says that inside that box is another kit. I was already wondering where the Do 17 came into the “weird” part of the story, as it’s a pretty normal-looking plane :smiling3:

Yep, easy to miss stuff if you don't read the post properly! We've all done it! Ha!

Still, pretty weird eh?

I'm thinking of 'what if'-ing the Do17, but what exactly, I'm not sure

Miko

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This is beyond strange, I'm sifting through the stash looking for inspiration and I find this. . .

View attachment 507937

an Amodel Yak 28L , I got this to build as a pilot trainer at 'Shimoji Island' airbase in 2024 from from the anime series 'Stratos 4' (2003)

You remember the Airfix TSR2 MS also from Stratos 4? Well, in the series it's all supposed to happen this year, so an ideal time to build it to go with my TSR2 MS!

The Yak27's appear 2:50 in this YouTube video. Also in the series the TSR2 MS are replaced by MiG31 MS, I have an ICM kit for that purpose!

. . . however, back to the point, I lifted the lid and found this?

View attachment 507938View attachment 507939View attachment 507940

A 1975 pressing of Airfix Dornier Do17! I have 'no' idea where this has come from? I haven't build a WWII German aircraft since this kit was new!

Good grief!!!! even the models are now into transgender - is there no hope.....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This is what comes from reading the posts before your regular time to get up in the morning :smiling6:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
No no no. Twilight Zone is 'du du dudu du du dudu'

'Picture if you will, a box inside an enigma; a strange brew found by flahlight, drawn in pencil...' See what I did there

So, first thought was, there must be a jet or rocket testbed. Maybe a Mistel with an He. 100.
Or a forward-swept wing one. Or just about anything you like as a Luftwaffe '46 design, seeing as most of THEM are completely made-up! How about a four-engine strategic recce version as a Ju.86 replacement?

Of, course there's other users, or war-prize versions. Us, the Sovs, Swedes, Switzerland. I've an RS Model 17K to do the ex. Yugoslav Italian one

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
No no no. Twilight Zone is 'du du dudu du du dudu'

'Picture if you will, a box inside an enigma; a strange brew found by flahlight, drawn in pencil...' See what I did there

Ha! You're Rod Serling impression works for me, are you wearing a suit and tie while smoking a ciggie?

So, first thought was, there must be a jet or rocket testbed. Maybe a Mistel with an He. 100.
Or a forward-swept wing one. Or just about anything you like as a Luftwaffe '46 design, seeing as most of THEM are completely made-up! How about a four-engine strategic recce version as a Ju.86 replacement?

Yep, all good, although I don't know enough about the Luftwaffe to create a plausible back story

Of, course there's other users, or war-prize versions. Us, the Sovs, Swedes, Switzerland. I've an RS Model 17K to do the ex. Yugoslav Italian one

Yep! That's the one!! would it be a stretch too far to do it in 'raspberry ripple'?

Miko (considering the options!)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yep! That's the one!! would it be a stretch too far to do it in 'raspberry ripple'?
Okay, a wartime captured test scheme with RAF roundels, maybe in dark earth and dark green with a yellow underside. Check out 'captured aircraft flown by RAF' 1426 Flight and 'Rafwaffe'. Though the never seem to have had a Do.17, but it's on 'Winkle' Brown's list

Hmm, post war a target test drone in black and yellow? Maybe some test aircraft for radar calibration by the RAE? You'll think of something

BTW I think you've dodged a bullet with the Yak. Let's just say AModel have their flaws...
But I still get them 'cos they're the only game in town for some stuff!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Okay, a wartime captured test scheme with RAF roundels, maybe in dark earth and dark green with a yellow underside. Check out 'captured aircraft flown by RAF' 1426 Flight and 'Rafwaffe'. Though the never seem to have had a Do.17, but it's on 'Winkle' Brown's list

Yep, I saw some stuff on YouTube recently with Capt Eric 'winkle Brown, it showed an Me262 and a Fw190, both of which were tested by 'winkle' at Farnborough, I have a book 'signed' by Capt Brown, it's a treasure possession

Hmm, post war a target test drone in black and yellow? Maybe some test aircraft for radar calibration by the RAE? You'll think of something

Black and yellow diagonal stripes? Yep, I've done that on a Westland Lysander and plans to do that to an otherwise 'raspberry ripple' Canberra! Black white red yellow and blue, perhaps the most colourful aeroplane ever to see service!

BTW I think you've dodged a bullet with the Yak. Let's just say AModel have their flaws...
But I still get them 'cos they're the only game in town for some stuff!

Yep, I'm familiar with Amodel kits, they're typical short run kits from eastern Europe, I've built their DH100 Vampire prototype and the Yak28L is not too bad, I'm just not sure where it is??

Some of the older residents in my stash do share homes, and invariably I forgot to mark the boxes. So occasionally I get a nice surprise when I open a box - equally likely is ' why on earth did I buy this?? '
Dave

That happened to me recently while stocktaking the stash, I found an Italeri MiG29UB kit in an ICM MiG31 box!

Doesn't work with the Do17 though, I don't know where the Yak is?

Miko (curiouser and curiouser??)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I take it you don’t have a Do 17 box hiding somewhere? :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I meant: one with a Yak-28 inside of it. Clearly that one hadn’t, else you wouldn’t be wondering where you left the sprues :smiling3:

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I meant: one with a Yak-28 inside of it. Clearly that one hadn’t, else you wouldn’t be wondering where you left the sprues :smiling3:

The Yak28 box is in the first photo, and as mentioned a couple of times, I don't know where the Yak kit is.
The Do17 is in its box found inside the Yak28 box.

Miko (clarification complete)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, that’s why I said what I did: the Do 17 kit is in the Yak 28 box. You also have a Do 17 box without a kit in it, apparently, so I asked if you have a second Do 17 box somewhere, maybe?

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Yes, that’s why I said what I did: the Do 17 kit is in the Yak 28 box. You also have a Do 17 box without a kit in it, apparently, so I asked if you have a second Do 17 box somewhere, maybe?

All the information you need is there Jakko, you just need to look

I can't make it any simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.