Wendall's 1/48 Airfix Harrier GR3

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have been trying the oil dot weathering technique on top of the post shade to try and fade the colours and give the impression of salt water streaking. I've not finished yet but would be interested to know what you guys think.

Do you have a reference photo showing salt water streaking? I would be wary of this type of weathering as my experience of aircraft operating in a salt laden environment is that I've never seen this type of weathering. But that's not to say it doesn't happen.

The Seakings that I worked on at Lossiemouth obviously operated over the sea virtually every day. One of the daily tasks was to wash down the cab with clean fresh water and perform a compressor wash on the engines if the aircraft operate within 2kms (I think) of the sea.

At Kinloss, the Nimrods (and also visiting P-3 Orions) would go through the birdbath after landing if they had been operating at low level over the sea.

That's just my experience, maybe some of the fish head members of this forum who have been embarked have different experiences and can help you out.

First Name
Jason
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. The references I'm working from are poorly reproduced black and white photos from the period so it is very difficult to interpret the exact cause of the weathering (I assumed some sort of salt water staining as they were based on Hermes) they just look very streaky, faded and battered. I can't find any clear colour refs from the time so I'm best guessing really. I'm not sure how much time was spent cleaning them on Hermes as they were pretty busy at the time according to Mr Pook. I'd be grateful if anyone could offer further insight though.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work so far Wendall, your paint work has come out tops. Those Harrier nose pitot tubes are a real pest.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There is a tall tale associated with Harrier pitot tubes and an RAF policeman. The story goes something like 1 sqn went to Spain on a detachment and it was the RAF policeman's job to guard the jets when they weren't flying or being worked on. Well RAF policemen being the inquisitive type that they are this one decided to get a closer look at the jets, nothing wrong with that. But this one manages to bend the pitot probe of one of the jets! Now you'd think that this chap being an honest RAF policeman would own up, or bend it back - no! He goes along the entire line of parked jets and bends them all so they "look the same"!

As I said, it's a tall tale and quite probably a load of bollocks but it illustrates the level of respect that the RAF police enjoy from the rest of the air force.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
There is a tall tale associated with Harrier pitot tubes and an RAF policeman. The story goes something like 1 sqn went to Spain on a detachment and it was the RAF policeman's job to guard the jets when they weren't flying or being worked on. Well RAF policemen being the inquisitive type that they are this one decided to get a closer look at the jets, nothing wrong with that. But this one manages to bend the pitot probe of one of the jets! Now you'd think that this chap being an honest RAF policeman would own up, or bend it back - no! He goes along the entire line of parked jets and bends them all so they "look the same"!As I said, it's a tall tale and quite probably a load of bollocks but it illustrates the level of respect that the RAF police enjoy from the rest of the air force.
I heard a similar story when I worked for British Aerospace in Saudi Arabia.Apparently a Saudi Guarding aircraft on the flight line allegedly did the same thing.Makes you wonder if there's any truth in it when you hear this story told a few times.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think you've nailed it Jason. The post shading is a much more convincing look than pre-shading.

First Name
Jason
Thanks for following my build. The finished article can be found here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/wendalls-1-48-airfix-harrier-gr3-under-a-tenner.29566/

Jason