Wessex Heli. Revell 1/48

V

Vajled

great choice of great looking heli

I eather dont know if any problems you can expect with build...

following this one also

Roman

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've never built one, but do like the look of it. Daughter No1 has a thing for helicopters, she twisted my arm and I bought her a couple at the Cosford show.

C

CDW

my only tip ...... Leave the under-carriage struts off till the very, very last moment before painting and finishing, they break even if you look at them wrong :smiling3:

My remedy was standard garden wire and slithers of card to scratch build a couple of new ones.

T

tecdes

\ said:
my only tip ...... Leave the under-carriage struts off till the very, very last moment before painting and finishing, they break even if you look at them wrong :smiling3: My remedy was standard garden wire and slithers of card to scratch build a couple of new ones.
Thanks Colin. Normally now, after mishaps on "every" model breaking undercarts build a protective scaffold of sprue or tape sponge on the sides. On the Wellington just finished they provided metal legs made things simple pity they do not all do that. But broke every gun barrel 8 of them.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks an interesting kit Laurie. Keep posting the photos.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Talking of under carridges the ones on that kit are not the Wessex ones they are the American versions ones. No one will know if you dont tell them... :confused:

Been looking at this kit for a while and will probably end up buying it now.

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
Talking of under carridges the ones on that kit are not the Wessex ones they are the American versions ones. No one will know if you dont tell them... :confused:Been looking at this kit for a while and will probably end up buying it now.

Ian M
Ian you are ruining my illusions. Sikorsky ones ? What is the difference ?

Laurie

C

CDW

From what i've seen, the difference is on the lower braces, (the single upper brace to the mid fuse section seems common) there's only one thicker lower brace/axle on most i've seen (some differences in shape and structure too) where as on your model there's a twin "V" lower brace.

i think thats right ......

T

tecdes

\ said:
From what i've seen, the difference is on the lower braces, (the single upper brace to the mid fuse section seems common) there's only one thicker lower brace/axle on most i've seen (some differences in shape and structure too) where as on your model there's a twin "V" lower brace. i think thats right ......
Thanks Colin I shall do a bit of investigation & see if I can amend the model without wrecking it.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Progressing well & really enjoying building this so far. My ninth model & so far this is the best fitting. Dry fitted the fuselage & it fits like hide hand made gloves. Slight pity there is not more detail in the main cabin especially as the large sliding door can be left open. Suppose I could have put a bit of hand made stuff in there but the external bits beckon on my patience. May put a bit of gear on the floor at the end.

Put in the bit about the tracing paper. Just a hunch that you could fit & tape things for easy fitting together & glueing. It worked & hardly any adhesion to the tracing paper which was easily released with a Morton blade.

Laurie

View attachment 44246View attachment 44245View attachment 44244View attachment 44243

View attachment 47440

View attachment 47441

View attachment 47442

View attachment 47443

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

V

Vajled

Laurie you done nice work so far...

Keep it up and this one will be show stopper

Roman

M

mobear

looking awesome laurie,just might keep peeking in on this to see something else being built

mobear

T

tecdes

Deleted read on pictures corrupt & re published further on.

Apologies.

Laurie

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Unfortunately Laurie I can't see the images you have posted when you click on them it say invalid attachments.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Strange Vaughan they all come up on my computer.

If somebody else would report if this invalid attachment is universal except for my computer then I will replace.

Actually they are not normally listed like that are they ?

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
When i click on them it brings up the picture laurie , but normally your attachments are in the form of thumbnail images that are expanded when clicked on , these are just lines of blue writing saying 'attachment 44870' etc. hope this helps , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Still no luck Laurie the message reads "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Slow progress

Some seam lines needed filling. Looks worse than it was. Used Mr Surfacer & sanded up seam line gone.

Dry fixed fittings to fuselage & glued all the bits. To fix permanently well I would knock them off. So they will be fitted after painting & decals.

The panel add ons to the fuselage left some gaps. The panels have rounded edges where they meet so no Mr Surfacer here. Used Vallejo filler which I wiped into the joints using water & cleaned off using Vallejo Brush Cleaner. Makes a nice smooth joint. Then finally for now all primed up.

As reported early in this article the landing gear is not Westland it is Sikorsky. Also many details the exaust postions for instance are different. Obviously Revell just rebranded the Sikorsky as a Westland with out changing the plastic work. Considered altering the landing gear but it meant altering other details so just left it.

Interesting fact I read in getting info on the model. The landing gear broke on a Wessex as it landed. The pilot took off before it buckled over. Hovered let down the passengers. Ground crew then unbolted & fitted a complete landing gear frame while the pilot hovered all in 8 minutes. How about that.

View attachment 44871View attachment 44872View attachment 44873View attachment 44874View attachment 44875View attachment 44876View attachment 44877

Laurie

View attachment 48020

View attachment 48021

View attachment 48022

View attachment 48023

View attachment 48024

View attachment 48025

View attachment 48026

P4270259_01.jpg

P4200230.jpg

P4220246.jpg

P4230247.jpg