what airbrush

B

blitzbob

hi

I've decided to come out of the dark ages and get an airbrush. i know nothing about them, i'm looking at painting ww2 and some jet aircraft. can any one advise on make type, do i need to spend lots.

thanks

bob

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I would recommend one of two, the Neo and Revolution CR the Neo is a well priced quality airbrush, but if your going to use things like cellulose then go for the CR, you could also get one of the cheaper ones available on ebay, downside to those is spare parts are hard to get hold of and from the one's I've had not as easy to clean as Iwata airbrushes.

E

Edgar Brooks

Probably your best bet will be to get to a model show, or shop, where you can handle brushes, and choose one that feels comfortable. Several club members use Badger brushes, but I have large hands, so they always feel a little flimsy (though they aren't,) so I bought a Paasche VL, which is big, fairly heavy, and feels "right." That was 30 years ago, and it's still going strong.

There are two basic types, single action and double action. With the first, you set the spray width, then spray the paint; with the second, the spray width is adjustable as you spray. The double action is usually more expensive, but, while you learn, it's possible to use the double action as a single action, but not vice versa. It will be tempting to go for a cheap, cheerful mass-produced brush, but that direction is fraught with danger, since spares and repairs might be impossible, or downright expensive.

At some time, it's fairly certain that you'll find a need for a compressor, rather than rely on cans of air, which are dreadfully expensive, gradually lose pressure, and have a nasty habit of dying just when you have no spare, and it's Sunday, so the shops are shut. A compressor will need to supply at least .5 cu. ft. of air per minute, and, again, you get what you pay for, so looking at several is a must.

Edgar

T

tecdes

Evening Bob.

I started about a year ago & dived in not knowing what I was doing. So I learnt by experience plus frustration. Bought a single action Airbrush.

This is my experience & opinion. None of this is scientific & every one has their own view. Here goes.

First I went for a single action brush. This is basically where you push a button & the paint spews out. Very little if any control except the distance of the brush from the piece being painted. Found it a complete disaster.

Then went to a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution. What a magical change. This brush this is a dual action brush. Some make a dual action sound difficult & it is not at all.

You press the button on top of the trigger down & that releases the compressed air through the brush no paint at all. Keep this pressed down until you have completed painting. SO action one complete & easy. Push down to start release to finish.

To control the amount of paint being released you pull the same button on the trigger back. Release the trigger forward & that reduces & eventually stops the paint. Take your finger off the button & that stops the compressed air.

The most important thing is practice. Get an empty plastic bottle & practice. You will soon see the results.

The brush I bought has interchangeable needles & nozzles. You can change needles for medium & fine work. It also has an adjustment to control the distance you pull the trigger back which will then regulate the maximum paint you want to release.

I started with enamel but soon very soon found that acrylics were so easy.

Compressor. I have a £60 compressor. See todays post in which I have described the compressor I bought.

The most important is practice. Another is just as you are going to airbrush do just have a squirt at your plastic bottle to make sure it is all working & not clogged. Yes another make sure you clean after use & get proper cleaning brushes & a reamer for the nozzle cleaning.

Practice. Best of luck you will get really good results.

Laurie

Last edited:
B

blitzbob

well i've ordered a Neo for Iwata CN gravity feed airbrush i've still got to get an air source, either cans or primeministers question time. i'll let you guys know how i get on.

thanks for your help.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks for the order you should have that tomorrow