What blade type do you use and for what ?

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
‘Parsing error’. Try reducing the image size to below 1 Meg

I usually reduce all my images to 800 x 800 pixels 1024 x 1024 max with no problems.
Doug,
Thanks for the heads-up :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I use those retractable cutters from stationery shops with the 45 degree angle blade as opposed to the 39 degree ones. Sections can be broken off when that portion gets dull using the quick art studio method. Use it for everything from scraping, whittling, carving, glue application on plastic, paper, wood, polystyrene and resin.
I do have a set that Gary has from Aldi's I got when in Sydney but rarely use them. Have used the curved blade to slice off rivets and raised panel lines. Now I use a chisel blade for that

Cheers,
Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I use those retractable cutters from stationery shops with the 45 degree angle blade as opposed to the 39 degree ones. Sections can be broken off when that portion gets dull using the quick art studio method. Use it for everything from scraping, whittling, carving, glue application on plastic, paper, wood, polystyrene and resin.
I do have a set that Gary has from Aldi's I got when in Sydney but rarely use them. Have used the curved blade to slice off rivets and raised panel lines. Now I use a chisel blade for that

Cheers,
Wabble
I have absolutely loads of the retractable blades, Letraset. But for the life of me, I don't have more can find a blade holder for them.
Just returned from Lidls and no blade sets!!! I did return with a nice iced Chelsea bun!!! Nothing to do with modelling but very tasty!!!

• Haha

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Am I the only cheapskate who bought a box of 100 OEM "Stanley" blades years ago and is still using them for all my modelling needs ( I don't use a handle )

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Am I the only cheapskate who bought a box of 100 OEM "Stanley" blades years ago and is still using them for all my modelling needs ( I don't use a handle )
Ahhhh, but are still with all your fingers and thumbs!!! I wouldn't have been!!!!! :smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I use a no.11 blade most of the time. Reasonably robust and pointed. A no.11P where I need a thinner, sharper point. A no.10 is my usual curved blade. A no.6 has a robust, longer, flatter curve and is rarely used. I also use a no.15 which has a very small curve, its mostly used to cut PE from the fret which unforunately wrecks blades quickly so fequent change are needed. Like Tim I buy blades in 100s for two reasons. Firstly they are cheaper by far and secondly having a lot of blades means I'm not reluctant to change blades so always have a sharp blade, I have a blade box like the one Tim showed. I do keep a few different used blades for scraping. I always use a no.3 handle

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I use primarily 10As and occasionally 10s for main building , and an 11 solely for masking canopies. ive also got some 15s but they are rarely needed . I scored a great bargain a few years ago when I got four boxes of 100 no 10A blades for £2 for the lot at a car boot . Needless to say , I havent bought any 10As for ages !!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What a find…..that’s about 80 quids worth :thumb2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I love Swann &Morton 15's for general usage - very versatile shape; 15 A's make a short, very controllable blade for line cutting etc and round bladed 10s and 22s for scraping and PE cutting - I also use pointy blades for winkling out recalcitrant bits and pieces and defining corners etc. I've also ground some old Humbrol blades to make various sized chisels! Edit: Hope I've read the numbers correctly looking at previous postings ...!)
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Im a mix of No10, No15 and a general straight bladed craft knife. Stanley blades are on hand but only used for putting bends in etch!!
As I may have mentioned I have heaps of Letraset craft blades, the ones that can be snapped off when past their usable life - I just don't have a handle to use with them. I think Letraset no longer exist!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've never really got on with big blades like the 11 but have a few disposables for when they are needed. I have a handle with a straight 10a blade but that doesn't get used much either.

I use the small, straight 15a quite a lot for cutting straight lines in plastic, tape, etc along a straight edge but by far my favourite is the small, curved 15 which is used for cutting, scraping, chiseling and all manner of other things.

I find curved blades help for really delicate cuts too as you can put the blade in place and roll it along the curve, rather than swiping and risking a slip.
Use them for seams and mould lines as well.
Mostly 10 and 11's though sometimes a 10a. These seem to do everything I need.
Swann Morton 10A for 99% of knifework - if I need anything bigger, I have a Stanley knife!
Dave
I'm just off to have an enjoyable :disappointed2: visit to Aldi, I'll keep my peepers open!!!! :flushed:

Cheers,
Wabble
Im a mix of No10, No15 and a general straight bladed craft knife. Stanley blades are on hand but only used for putting bends in etch!!
As I may have mentioned I have heaps of Letraset craft blades, the ones that can be snapped off when past their usable life - I just don't have a handle to use with them. I think Letraset no longer exist!!
Well that made an interesting read, so thanks everybody that commented, hope I've not missed any one out, if so sorry .

Definitely need to look at some of these curved ones, I've a few odds in the box so will try some out and make decision.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
No - but still have the box of Stanley blades I bought in 2018.... And it never seems to go down...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I am sure I have the equivalent in my tool box in the shed, I will let you know later today.