What do i require for airbrushing

P

premacy10

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a Iwata BR airbrush and compressor ( thanks to all who gave ideas) but I have no idea what else I require leads, pipes etc, are there any other things i require cleaning materials etc. If you could please pass on your expertise or could link any websites which may help I would be very grateful.

regards

Antony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure if your compressor has a regulator on it but mine hasn't so i bought a water trap/regulator all in one for mine. This helps me to be able to spray all different designs and paints at whatever pressure i want which is essential for alclad and mottling effects.

If your kit doesn't come with hoses then have a look at www.everythingairbrush.com or ebay.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Iwata AB's have a 1/8 BSP so you need a hose with that on one end, and the same on the other end if you are to go for something like the Iwata Ninja I will be happy to give you a further discount if you were to buy both

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry John i didn't know you sold hoses :ohno:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As far as cleaning goes there are several threads here about that. What cleaner you use depends on what you are spraying. Let us know what paints you intend to use and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice. Most of us, spraying acrylics, don't use the branded airbrush cleaners but rather various, cheaper,options varying from mountain bike cleaner (Muc-Off) to screen washes and window cleaners. For enamels you will have to use a solvent like white spirit. For a lacquer based product like Alclad you will need cellulose thinners (nasty stuff,definitely ask for some pointers if you are going to use this).

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Sorry John i didn't know you sold hoses :ohno:
I only sell them at the same time as when someone buys an AB, also I would get a tube of superlube, you get a sample tube when you buy an AB and that will last ages but it's good to keep your needle in tip top condition

S

Sky Raider

Pardon my ignorance, why do you need a tube of super lube for an airbrush John. Bear in mind that i know zilch about airbrushes and brushing.

Andy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Super Lube is good for making sure your needle doesn't dry out and split, also keeps everything lubricated and protected