What finish?

M

MadHatter

Normally i make my model paint it, dry, decal then dry and im done. I havent used a finishing coat of anything so my question is what should i use? I like the glossy look but i dont really know any brands...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dan, what a lot of people do is to give the model a coat of gloss varnish after the paint is dry ,then after that is dry apply the decals , the smooth surface helps avoid any 'silvering' of the decal , caused by tiny air bubbles getting trapped underneath if the surface is too rough ie. matt finish. Then when the decals are dry ,you can apply a final surface finish ,whether its matt,gloss or satin ,whatever, this also helps to seal in the decals. If you want to do any weathering too then now is a good time, and if you want, another coat of the final finish after. As for the manufacturer,theres loads,it all depends which you can get, but a few good varnishes are - Vallejo, Microscale , Xtracrylix , or if you want enamel then humbrol clearcote . all available in matt and gloss of course. If you wanted the microscale stuff then its available from johns own shop on here, just click on the link at the top of the page. hope this helps a little , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Both Vallejo and Humbrol do a good gloss varinish. The Vallejo is water based, the Humbrol solvent based.

Both will need shaking/stiring until your arm falls off. Then shake it some more!!! Failing to do this with the Humbrol will cause the varnish to cloud as it dries.

You don't say if you use an airbrush or hairy brush. If you brush paint I would suggest you buy the Humbrol in a rattle can and use that.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Dan,

Some good stuff from Tony there, but if you like gloss finishes, there's a possible alternative you could look at:

The Complete Future

Gern

PS Welcome aboard.

M

MadHatter

Thanks for the step by step guide tony, i think i got that 'silvering' effect you mentioned on my supercobra and i've bought some pro modeller weathering wash so i'll put that to use.

As for the actual varnish i think i'll go for the humbrol gloss thanks to ian as i don't have an airbrush!:shhhh:

Thanks Gern glad to be here!