What gloss coat should I use?

C

Cooperman69

Hi all,

My current build is the 1/24th Revell McLaren F1 mp4/25 and I'm at the stage of build where I need to start thinking about a pre-decal gloss coat and a final gloss coat on some parts of the kit.

I've been doing some searching on here and I'm surprised to see that Johnsons Klear (or whatever it's called now) has been giving indifferent results. I've got a bottle of the new stuff but have never used it, and to be honest I'm not sure I want to now. Now I've also got some Vallejo gloss varnish in the stash and recently bought a jar of Tamiya Gloss too. I'm yet to use any of these and before I do I was wondering what do you believe would be the best option.

As is the nature of the build some of the parts are being painted and decals applied before assembly i.e. suspension struts, wings/spoilers, so it will be easy enough to brush these items, but when it comes to the car shell and base I'm looking to airbrush them.

So a few questions please,

What gloss would you use?

If I use Klear then what do I use to clean up with? IPA?

If I use the Tamiya or Vallejo do I need to thin first for a/b use? I do have the relevant manufacturers thinners for each brand.

How well does the Tamiya/Vallejo brush?

In case it makes a difference I'm using Tamiya paints on this kit.

Atb,

Colin.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Colin. I'm new to the gloss thing too, but I recently used a gloss coat for the first time in my Spitfire build. I used Vallejo Gloss Varnish straight out of an aerosol can and it worked very well for me. It went on with no hassles and dried quickly as advertised on the can.

D

dubster72

Hi Colin,

For something like this, where the finish has got to be spot-on ( no weathering to conceal any mistakes! ), I'd go with the Vallejo gloss. I assume your planning to airbrush it, so bear in mind that thinning it will reduce the gloss effect. Personally, I'd thin it 50/50 and apply 2-3 coats for a deep gloss finish.

The new Klear ( Pledge ) is very iffy when getting a good gloss finish. I'm junking my bottle in favour of the Vallejo. I've never used Tamiya gloss as before I had the original Klear, so it wasn't an option. Knowing how marginal Tamiya acrylic paint is to brush with, I'd not advise brushing any Tamiya paint product!

For cleaning, I use Windex after Klear/Pledge as this contains ammonia. For the Vallejo & Tamiya, I use the pre-mixed screenwash found in Poundshops. It's just as effective as Vallejo thinner (although some will beg to differ!) and obviously much cheaper!

Cheers

Patrick

C

Cooperman69

I've been searching online for Windex but it seems like it's only available in bulk or from abroad, am I missing something? Where do you get yours from?

D

dubster72

I've got a few bottles that I bought ages ago. You can use the UK alternative of Windolene.

First Name
Michael
I think for windex you can read glass cleaner. I use the windscreen wash I use in the car, it does a great job. I've also used Mr Muscle glass cleaner.

C

Cooperman69

Ah right, thanks guys.

So as long as it's ammonia based I guess.

Am I right in thinking some people use Halfords window wash or Muc Off, or is that for cleaning acrylics only?

Sorry for all the novice questions but that's where I am at the moment, and without you guys and this forum I'd probably given up by now :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Windex or windowlene and Mr muscle window cleaner not only cleans klear but is a great thinner for acrylics

Last edited by a moderator: