What glue to use...?

T

The Z'eer

As mentioned in a previous thread, returning to modeling after a 26 year gap and realising different products are available now. Originally I used polystyrene cement, which I found to be quite messy due to it's viscosity. I moved on to liquid poly, by far an improvement. However I'm due to start a new kit soon, should I move on to something superior than liquid poly, presuming it exists?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know which liquid poly you use, they are all a solvent or mixture of solvents to make a chemical 'weld' between the plastic parts.

I use Tamiya Extra Thin, Mr Hobby S and EMA Plastic Weld. They are all thin, though of different chemical composition. They all work and it is difficult to say any one is better than the others.

Cheers

Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
all depends on the joint

i actually use thick super glue for most things.......probably 90% of the time

but i also keep some Revell poly glue around since it comes with that precision metal applicator

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I find it difficult to get invisible seams (bearing in mind I build almost exclusively aircraft) using superglue. I do use it for many things, the gel is good for attaching small parts for example.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't know which liquid poly you use, they are all a solvent or mixture of solvents to make a chemical 'weld' between the plastic parts.

I use Tamiya Extra Thin, Mr Hobby S and EMA Plastic Weld. They are all thin, though of different chemical composition. They all work and it is difficult to say any one is better than the others.

Cheers

Steve

I know EMA is much 'hotter' than either Mr Cement and Tamiya Extra Thin. I mixed up a batch of styrene filler using some old bits of sprue and EMA. I put it into an old Mr Cement bottle thinking the brush applicator would be useful - and the EMA promptly dissolved the brush!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I know EMA is much 'hotter' than either Mr Cement and Tamiya Extra Thin. I mixed up a batch of styrene filler using some old bits of sprue and EMA. I put it into an old Mr Cement bottle thinking the brush applicator would be useful - and the EMA promptly dissolved the brush!

The EMA stuff is basically dichloromethane  whereas the other two are essentially methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). They are all pretty hot. I'm guessing the Mr Cement brush was formulated not to dissolve in the one, but was obviously quite soluble in the other :smiling3:

Plastic Weld doesn't come with a brush, and there may be a reason for that! I use an old Pro Arte paint brush to apply it. I don't know what it is made of but it is impervious to dichloromethane.

Subjectively and unscientifically I find that the Plastic Weld works better on some of the harder plastics found in some kits, but I haven't done any rigorous experimentation which would prove my hypothesis !!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like you Steve, I used an old paint brush with my EMA and found it kept gluing bits of dust and fluff to my kits. That's 'cos I'm such a messy worker and the brush picked up the stuff when I put it down after use! Now I use either Mr Cement or Tamiya Extra Thin depending on which one I find first in the tip I call my workbench!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave, I hope it says I liked your last post rather than unliked...I'm having a bit of trouble with the 'mouse' on my lap top at the moment :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

J

John Rixon

Plastic Weld doesn't come with a brush, and there may be a reason for that! I use an old Pro Arte paint brush to apply it. I don't know what it is made of but it is impervious to dichloromethane.

Does your brush soften up every time you dip it in then?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

It doesn't harden up John. The Plastic Weld in the brush just seems to evaporate (as it would) and leave the brush just as it was before. The brush is a really old one marked 'Prolene + Plus' whatever that means! It is quite different from the 'Miniature Painting' ones I use now.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Yes. These types of glues are not glues as such, so they aren't sticky and don't 'set' like most. All they do is melt the plastic then evaporate away. Once the plastic has melted it bonds together then resets hard as the glue evaporates.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave, I hope it says I liked your last post rather than unliked...I'm having a bit of trouble with the 'mouse' on my lap top at the moment :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

It's a 'Like'! Thanks Steve.