What is a modeller

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Friends.

Just a ramble about something I have often thought about.

I have often seen words bandied about in modelling about what a person is in the modelling world.

A few examples,Model maker,kit builder,scratchbuilder,sculptor,hobbyist,artist...etc.

A lot of people have pre-conceived idea's about what we do.Tell someone you make models and often the first thing they say is "Airfix, isn't that what kids do?".

Personally I will do any type of model.And in general I would say that I'm a modeller.

If I was to only paint 120mm figures for a few months does that make me an artist as opposed to being a sculptor/ modeller?

If I could only sculpt figures and not paint them would that make me a sculptor as opposed to a artist/modeller?

I could probably go on and on.But what I would like is to hear what people think about what I have said.You can go off on any tangent you like it will all be interesting to hear.

All the best.

Ralph.

G

GazB

According to my son - Modelling means i'm a nerd (I take that as a compliment)

According to my Wife Modelling means i'm a nuisance - as the smell of thinners glue etc is always escaping from the Garage

In my own opinion i'm a Modeller - simple as that. I haven't been on these forums for a couple of years whilst I built a Model Railway and was a Railway Modeller, once I realised I didn't like watching trains go round and missed the smell of airbrush cleaner in my nostrils I came back and once again i'm a Scale Modeller.

I suppose as modelling of some kind is my coping method for dealing with a stressful job and I regularly need a fix to cope with it all - you could describe me as a modelling addict.

BTW - these are still the friendliest forums of any description on the web - and I have missed this place.

F

Fenlander

My own take on this great subject idea is that if there is an element of construction, then it is modelling.  So that encompasses all forms of construction, scratch building, kit construction sculpting even.

if there is no construction, ok maybe small things like adding a hat plume to a figure, and it is painted then that painting person is an artist.  This equates, in my mind, to a painter of portraits, landscapes etc.  Painting a figure that requires no, or very little construction is the same as painting a canvas.  You are using paint to define light and shade in exactly the same way as an artist painting a figure on a canvas.  Admittedly, with a figure, the shape, concept and size are pre defined by the sculptor but it is the painter, the artist, that brings it alive.

Now, this is further complicated when it comes to scratch building.  If you are scratch building a scene from nothing but the raw materials then what you are doing could cross over between modelling, as it is constructed.  Craft work, as it uses many craft techniques and materials.  And artistry because, again, painting will be a major factor in 'bringing it to life'.

I personally do not consider kit building to be craft or art as you are assembling pre formed components to a fairly rigid set of instructions.  In its most basic form, this requires no skill at all (pauses to let the shouts of 'bounder', 'cad' and 'speak for yourself' to die down while dodging over ripe fruit based missiles).

Nope, building a kit does not require skill as such.  Building it correctly, making adjustments and alterations, now then, that is a different matter.  This is where the skill of the modeller comes into it.  

Is painting a kit to 'bring it to life' an art form?  I believe in some cases it is.  I paint for colour and a bit of weathering.  That is not art it is decorating.

When you look at the work of the 'masters' of modelling, the sheer quality of shade and light they depict on their models, the pure realism of the effects, now that is art. 

Therefore, it could be said that we are all modellers.  Some of us are craft persons and a few are artists.  Even fewer are all three.

Myself? I am a Modeler who occasionally decorates a model to an acceptable standard.

Last edited:
D

dubster72

I don't think I could put it any better than Graham has. It's pretty much what I was going to say.

And definitely including the part about building a kit! There's no particular skill needed, just the ability to follow instructions.

That's why most of my threads skip much of the construction. It's the painting & weathering that defines the end result.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I only take exception to the idea that constructing a kit does not require skill. Even the most modern and best engineered kits require a certain level of skill to build properly. Some of the more challenging kits require both a deal of skill and perseverance to build to a decent standard.

I recently built HK Models 1/32 scale Do 335. Give that kit to a complete novice and he or she could probably follow the instructions to create a reasonable model, though I guarantee some parts would not look quite right. Give that same novice the resin kit I built after that and I would expect them to struggle, not because it was a bad kit (quite the opposite) but because a certain level of skill and experience are required to make such a kit work. :smiling3:

As for me, I just tell people that I build models and leave it at that!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I only take exception to the idea that constructing a kit does not require skill. Even the most modern and best engineered kits require a certain level of skill to build properly. Some of the more challenging kits require both a deal of skill and perseverance to build to a decent standard.

I recently built HK Models 1/32 scale Do 335. Give that kit to a complete novice and he or she could probably follow the instructions to create a reasonable model, though I guarantee some parts would not look quite right. Give that same novice the resin kit I built after that and I would expect them to struggle, not because it was a bad kit (quite the opposite) but because a certain level of skill and experience are required to make such a kit work. :smiling3:

As for me, I just tell people that I build models and leave it at that!

Cheers

Steve

I agree Steve and if I may quote myself, I think I said the same thing

"Nope, building a kit does not require skill as such.  Building it correctly, making adjustments and alterations, now then, that is a different matter.  This is where the skill of the modeller comes into it."

Plus, as is often the case, my tongue was firmly wedged in my cheek  :D

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
A lot of people have pre-conceived idea's about what we do.Tell someone you make models and often the first thing they say is "Airfix, isn't that what kids do?".

aint that the truth  xD

i always keep some pics on my phone of some of the best things ive done just to show people

once had a work colleague say 'what use is that?'

bearing in mind i have worked all my life in QC or QA roles in manufacturing i replied 'it helps with problem solving and countermeasure, improves hand-eye coordination, promotes tool usage skills and lateral thinking, and a constant striving to improve quality....................whats your hobby?'

'football'

'oh, i didnt know you played'

'i dont......i just watch it on the telly'

'hmmmmm...........and what use is that?'  9_9

i always say im a modelmaker

D

Deleted member 4539

Thank you all for your input.

Each of you have made valid points that I find very interesting.

What stands out for me is, does it take skill or not to build a kit?.

I would say yes if it was to be of a good standard.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For reasons far too convoluted to go into here I once found myself in Bangalore, India, working on a Miss World Pageant. Miss Australia,  having said that she wanted to save the world, promote world peace, work with children etc, was asked what her hobby was and gave a reply which was at least honest. "Sunbathing" she said :smiling3:  

At least I have something a little more permanent than a sun tan to show for my efforts!

Cheers

Steve

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hmmmm... a very interesting thread indeed. I myself consider what I do as a form of art, and I also think that the proper construction of a particular model such as the ones seen on this site do take skill and patience to get them right (such as getting vinyl tracks to sag just right, ships rigging and flawless paint jobs on autos and planes) things I think we take for granted but a newbie might have a great deal of difficulty with. Beyond just proper construction and painting is to be able to build a vignette or diorama that can really catch the eye and really convey a message and or an emotion that will stick with the observer and that imo is an art.......Jim :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

When at risk of divulging to a non-modeller that I make scale models of things, I shut my mouth (unless I really think the other person is likely to be interested or sympathetic to hobbies, at least just a little). The reason is that one person's hobby, of whatever kind (with an exception) is simply because that person likes to do it. That does not mean that another person, taken at random, will likely be in any way interested, but bored and think it silly. I don't like eating figs. I don't go around telling people. Its a personal thing. I could say (if pressed) why I don't like them (possibly due to Syrup of Figs as a child!), but that is not very interesting even to a fig lover, and even less to most people who don't consider the subject. People do inessential things just because they like to do them. No need to justify to anyone, even to oneself.

The exception is something more way-out, like climbing the Himalayas or tight-rope walking over the Grand Canyon or doing the Duke of Edinburgh's trek, or full-time volunteering to help disadvantaged children. These are seen as either risky, self-denying, winning a major prize for the biggest cucumber (winning something against competition is usually respected) or similarly admirable things.

A friend of mine collects porcelain egg cups. He has about 300. My reaction, privately, was that's of no interest to me, and I would never do that. But I would defend his right to do so, and would not snigger. (I hope that if he knew I did modelling he would react in the same way.)

Apart from the companionship and support I get on this forum, the rest of my modelling is effectively private. That suits me. I do not crave admiration.

I like Paul's post.

Last edited:
C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I would consider myself a modeller, as opposed to being a person that just builds models. To me the differentiation comes in the depth one gets in a given activity or hobby. I tend to dive in and really try to make something decent, with proper construction, and now as my skills are returning, better and more accurate detail. I try to paint in correct schemes, and am striving to improve my weathering skills. I feel this makes me a "modeller." If I built the model straight out of the box, gave it a quick paint job and called it done, I would consider myself more of a model maker? Does that make sense.

Here is another example: I used to surf, but I was not a surfer. To me a surfer is the guy that lives the lifestyle, lives for surfing, is good at it. I would go out, ride some waves old-school style, and I was done.

Or, I bake stuff sometimes, and that definitely does NOT make me a baker. Herr Kohnen, about 45 minutes from where I live, is a baker... of the highest order, I might add. He lives for his bakery and his customers.

Keep in mind this is my opinion and nothing else. To me a "person that builds models" is not inferior to a "modeller." This is just how I would define it.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I hear ya Steve, very few are the individuals who would stop and REALLY look at a dio or model, most would just take a passing glance and say "oh that's nice" I fault them not but one is left scratching his head saying "can't they see all the time and painstaking effort it took to get this thing to look the way it does?" That's just how people are I'm afraid. That's why I cherish this site for having like minded folks viewing your work you know your efforts are appreciated.......Jim :smiling3:

H

Hellcat

A competent model maker turning out models which look authentic has accomplished a number of things.

He or she will have studied the subject thoroughly delving into all the information on that subject. Even having chosen the subject after having been highly interested from reading a book by some one involved in for instance piloting an aircraft in war. That is they find themselves wanting some of that involvement by building a model. That is inspired by reading about the subject.

Building a model requires planning a method of going about the construction.

Also requires a dedication to building the model accurately with patience to dry fit and forward and 3d thinking.

Craftmanship to fit the parts carefully shaping as required to obtain the best fit possible. Accuracy for instance to ensure that the port and starboard details replicate each other. Not an easy task. To be able to recover either the makers or the constructors poor workmanship by making good those poor parts.

Imagination by introducing items or parts the manufacturer has not bothered to include. To be able to add PE and a host of other parts carefully.

To produce in finish terms using craftsmanship a model straight from the factory. Pristine finish. Or able using artistic ability to produce a model which is as authentic in scale to the original one on the battlefield or air. To be able to do that takes an enormous amount of imagination, skill, observation and above all in the best models incredible artistic ability. Also extends to showing that model in the environment in which it works a diorama which is a further show of skill craftsmanship imagination and artistic ability.

That is my interpretation of model making.

A

american

I know that what we are doing is a form of art above the therm "hobby". 

Not everyone can have the skils to read proper the drawings, to do a Corect assembling of the pieces, to make adjustment s according with real models. And , everytime when we are staring a model we are improving , in the same time , our  knowledges reading or looking documentaries about our theme. How manny people you know, reading or watching documentaries if is not regarded with Theyr job? 

I believe we are having a not very easy to do hobby, and not for everyone!

D

Deleted member 4539

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts.

They have all been a great read for me :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't think the ability to follow instructions makes one a modeller any more than following a recipe makes you a baker or cook, there has to be some other, almost intangible, element that's sets you apart and I think it is the art of interpretation. I mean that reading the instructions and iterpreting what they mean, their sense and the modeller's knowedge of the subject and/or experience is all part of the "skill".

I recently built two ship sets of main landing gear for an A350-1000 from an instruction manual written in French, nobody can tell me that the ability to follow instructions was the only thing I needed to do to build them.

A

american

I don't think the ability to follow instructions makes one a modeller any more than following a recipe makes you a baker or cook, there has to be some other, almost intangible, element that's sets you apart and I think it is the art of interpretation. I mean that reading the instructions and iterpreting what they mean, their sense and the modeller's knowedge of the subject and/or experience is all part of the "skill".

I recently built two ship sets of main landing gear for an A350-1000 from an instruction manual written in French, nobody can tell me that the ability to follow instructions was the only thing I needed to do to build them.

Ok.

I just said it in short, is not just the ability to understand the drawings, is more then that, taking initiative to change the model, painting him propper, building a diorama, and creating a story. We are artist. Artists are creating a story for you if you know how to look deep in their work.

Same us as! If you know how to look, that static diorama is telling you a story enough to fill up 30 minutes in to a movie, if you, as a modeller are good enough to tell that story.   And a good scale model or diorama can tell that story to anyone, modeller or simple watcher.

This is for me the meaning of the term " modeller"!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'Hellcat' makes a very good point above about the research that goes into a model before the glue is opened. This might not be important to all model makers, many may be happy to build OOB and take the kit manufactures' research as good enough, it often is. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I fall into a category in which the historical research and back story are as important as the model. I will try to represent the subject as accurately as possible from the chosen kit, but I fall well short of rivet counting and micrometre measuring :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

Deleted member 4539

'Hellcat' makes a very good point above about the research that goes into a model before the glue is opened. This might not be important to all model makers, many may be happy to build OOB and take the kit manufactures' research as good enough, it often is. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I fall into a category in which the historical research and back story are as important as the model. I will try to represent the subject as accurately as possible from the chosen kit, but I fall well short of rivet counting and micrometre measuring :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

I tend to build out of the box.Except when it comes to ships and I do like to add detail sets to them.

I like to model as accurately as I can but I'm not worried about true accuracy.

Where I do find research is important is with large figure kits.Some kits come with painting instructions and some without.Some just show a black and white picture on the box and the majority come without any form of building instuctions.