What is the most important piece of Kit you have?

D

Diego_GB_ESP

Hi very new to modelling and can see there are many types of paints, brushes, washes, glues etc.

What do you think is the 1 piece of kit you can't live without?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Patience,but you can't buy that.

There are many pieces of kit that I can't live without,probably too many to list here! Somewhere someone posted what they considered to be the essential tools needed,a list of about a dozen bits and pieces. You'll find that you accumulate tools and products as you need them until,like me,you've got a cupboard full. The ones that you keep replacing/replenishing are the ones you really need.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Internet and forums, for encouragement, inspiration, assistance and light relief during builds especially troublesome moments

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I think the thing I couldn't do without is tamiya extra thin cement you can dry fix the smallest parts then just touch them with the brush, and my most prized thing is my new airbrush used it for the first time the other day it was like falling in love again lol ok maybe not but I like it.

As for tools like Steve said you will pick up what you need bit by bit then wondered how you managed without them

D

dm73

Its got to be the kettle, once you've lost your rag, fed the carpet monster numerous important pieces, spilt a pot of superglue all over the workbench theres nothing like a good cuppa to calm down and then try again either that or good working lights above your workbench, all the gear in the world isn't going to matter if your straining to see what your building, just my 2p's worth

M

munkster

As someone who has returned to the hobby after "getting over adulthood" I would say that the tools/items that make the difference between childhood botch jobs and patient (ha!!) grown up finished products are: liquid poly cement (FWIW I've got Humbrol and use a v.small brush to apply), Squadron sanding sticks (how did I ever manage without??), Expo sprue cutters followed by a good scalpel (Swann & Morton for me), cutting mat and...yes I'm afraid...an airbrush (thought I'd slip that in there, I got a £80ish starter kit off eBay, seems to work well for now)...

There's lots of other things of course (fillers, weathering, varnish etc etc) but this would be my list of things that have made what used to be a chuffing frustrating hobby into something I can honestly say immerses me for hours at a time. It's still frustrating at times of course, but having at least a few of the "right tools" helps massively!

D

Diego_GB_ESP

Thanks for the responses, I am just starting out and I agree that liquid cement is a great help compared to squirting it out the tube. Weathering is something I need to learn to lift the quality of my models. Airbrushes ummm? Is that cheating or is it accepted to get a brilliant finish if you know what your doing of course.

Cheers

Chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Weathering is something I need to learn to lift the quality of my models. Airbrushes ummm? Is that cheating or is it accepted to get a brilliant finish if you know what your doing of course.Cheers

Chris
Well Chris weathering is the artisitic rather than scientific part but you've got to get the basics right,i.e. build and finish a decent model,or all the clever weathering in the world won't make it look any better.

Most of us do airbrush. I model mainly WWII Luftwaffe subjects and those finishes are impossible for me with a good old hairy stick. Some brush painters can achieve astonishing results,just check out some of Ron's (spanner570) efforts. Airbrushing is certainly not cheating. I could never get the finish on this Bf109 with a paintbrush.

I suppose that makes my airbrush my most indispensible tool!

Cheers

Steve

D

Diego_GB_ESP

Thanks for the reply Steve,

i agree work on the basics and the rest will follow, seems like in the future an airbrush maybe a wise investment. My next model is going to be a 1/72 Italeri MI-24 gunship Soviet style, unsure of what paints to get so many shades of each colour.

Great looking model, good quality weathering really brings the realism out in a model.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
Internet and forums, for encouragement, inspiration, assistance and light relief during builds especially troublesome moments
I second m1ks reply if it wasn't for forums where would we be they are invaluable!!!

Vaughan

D

David154

Good lighting ,Swan & Morton scalpels ,airbrush and compressor and plenty of cups of tea!. Oh and some good reference material on the subject you are modeling.

Proberably most emportant is to enjoy yourself.

David