What Models have beaten you??

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
All of 'em! I've yet to produce anything from a kit that hasn't got numerous faults. Fortunately, my eyesight isn't so good nowadays so they look OK on my shelf from a few feet away!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
So far......my one and only binned kit was this,
View attachment 318889

The plastic was like granite and there was so much flash and misalignment that after getting halfway through I just fed it to the bin!
What I found annoying was seeing others make a cracking job of the kit! I must of had a bad one:smiling5:
I loved that kit, mind you that was back in the late 70’s and I expect it was state of the art then.......

S

Sjors

Dave,

For me it was the Dingo from Miniart and more recently the FW 190 a-8 from Eduard...
All those gaps and pieces of plastic that snapped right of in all the wrong places...
Ooooh the memories....
*sits alone in the corner rocking back and forth while sucking is thumb*

Sjors

Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
This one was my biggest fail...could not get the deck to fit the hull no matter what I tried. Clamps worked until the cement had set, but the hull would soon spring back out of shape. I was quite young at the time. might give it another go one day...but don't have the space at the moment.

Attachments

• 58169SDC10033.JPG
    58169SDC10033.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
T

Topcat

When it is a bad kit can we not send it back to the original company? After all our hobby is their business. Feedback is useful. I know some kits are remakes but somebody is responsible.

D

Deleted member 5819

Every kit I've ever built has beaten me somewhere along the line that's why mine always have loads of upgrades or modifications to hide all my mistakes.
Pete.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sometimes, it's not the manufacturer, but the modeller! It's exasperating when you see the same model that you canned, made up by a 12 year old on his first construct!
If you have problems with a model, email them, go on their Facebook page - you never know, you might get a result, or meet others with the same problem........
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
None so far. Being a very competitive personality, I persist beyond the reasonable. Scratching or semi-scratching around the shortcomings. Not always with great result, but OK from two feet. An advantage of working only in 1/87 scale. PaulE

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Committed a cardinal sin of splashing out on Accurate Armour's big Scimitar when I was a lot younger and a lot richer and had never made a resin model before. What a waste of a very good model.
Jon.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Whenever I hit a snag while building after three tries I will put it down, go for a walk, have a drink, simmer down and then go back to do it. Most of the time I find I have been fitting it upside down or followed the destruction sheet too closely when there could have been an easier way or a new part had to be scratched for a better fit. I never throw away a kit...it's like throwing away money.

Cheers,
Richard

X

Xarathustra

This...

Tamiya-1-35-German-37-cm-Anti-Tank-Gun.jpg

...today.

The fiddly mechanism that holds the breach in place was all on the cock. I just couldn't be bothered with it after a few hours of messing around.
It's in the bin!
The only bonus is that I built so little of it I have all the figures & half the other bits left :rolling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I recall, other stuff eventually got mounted on this gun’s carriage, so if/when your scratchbuilding skills improve, you could try making one of those :smiling3: