What primer for enamel paints?

C

Cooperman69

Hi,

I'm about to venture into airbrushing enamels for the first time, WEM enamel paint to be precise, but I'm just not sure what type of primer to use?

I normally spray acrylics and use Vallejo or Tamiya primer but was concerned this may not be suitable for enamel paint.

What do you enamel sprayers use for priming? Is it required with solvent based enamels?

Atb, Colin.

T

troysr20

Hi

I've used Tamiya fine primer for Humbrol/Tamiya enamel paint airbrushing without any problems. So no difference to acrylic

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You should be fine with your Vallejo Primer as once cured, acrylic paint takes washes based on White spirit without effect. BUT try it first on a scrap of plastic card just to be safe.

Another primer worth looking at are those from Alclad. OK they pong and you will be wise to use that mask. ( you know the one we all use....)

Its a great primer, sprays well and has a micro filler property about it. Dries flat and is as hard as nails when cured. Designed as a primer for lacquer type top coats, it can be over painted with just about any paint you can find. It comes in white, black and grey. Cleans up with cellulose thinners.

Ian M

M

Military.modeller80

Hi

If you are using enamels then there is no reason not to use an Enamel Primer, I normally use the Primer from Xtracolor but the Humbrol version is also ok, its there #1 tinlet, I prefer to airbrush my primers as its much easier to get primer into all the fine detail areas without flooding the detail which can happen with spray cans until you get very good with them.

Paul