What to do, what to do?

G

Griffin

Hi all,

I've recently returned to the hobby, having only really built one kit about 26 years ago. I have done some Warhammer 40K stuff in the interim though.

I am building an Airfix 1:72 Spitfire as a starter kit. Having some experience with GW and Vallejo Acrylics, I started off by buying the Vallejo Model paints that correspond with the suggested Humbrols. I primed the sprues with the Vallejo Grey Primer and let it cure for a week before spraying one of the colours in the cockpit pieces. (I'm using a second-hand Aztec Airbrush). While washing and highlighting the parts, some of the base coat (not the primer) wore off the parts. I did touch-ups with the brush. The paint wore off again when I was trying to assemble the parts, again leaving the primer behind. I've been thinning the paint with Testor's Universal Acrylic Thinner.

Is there something I am missing? The paint doesn't seem to have any "tooth." Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to keep using Vallejo as I seem to be able to get a decent finish with a brush, they seem to spray well (not that I have anything to compare them with) and they clean up easily and are odourless.

I've bought some Humbrol enamels to try out and I'm going to try a side-by-side comparison on some scrap plastic. From what I've heard, though, the odours are pretty bad and I paint in the living room with the family around and I'd rather not gas them out, especially with a Canadian winter on the way.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you - Griffin:bow:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
If its the interior parts being painted before assembly I leave the paint a day then apply oil paint washes as they don't react with the acrylic paint and then drybrush.

On the exterior I leave it a day after painting to cure, then apply a gloss varnish coat as a base for decals, seal the decals with another gloss varnish coat, then apply the washes and other weathering/drybrushing and then an overall matt varnish.

PS - it seems a bit over the top a week for the primer, I leave it a day or so.

G

Griffin

I really only build on Sundays so the week drying/curing time is pretty standard. I can't handle the pieces at all or the paint wears off right away.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Did you leave the paintwork a week to cure before handling/weathering?

One problem could be your thinning agent perhaps. Try Vallejo thinner with Vallejo paints. It is formulated so that it does not change the adhesion qualities of the paint. From readin g through what you say again that is the most likely solution, as well as not handling for at least 24 hours after painting. I have not had any of the problems you have and I love Vallejo paints using Air and Model Colour exclusively.

A

andygh

Are the paints old?

Seems strange this, I've never had a problem with Vallejo, they always go off quite hard. Revell or Airfix on the other hand... yeuch

G

Griffin

Hi guys,

I pretty much leave an entire week between building sessions. I use the Vallejo thinner when brush painting and I usually work on a wet palette as well. I may need to try the thinner in my AB as well.

The paints are reasonably new, bought this summer. I guess it depends on how long they've been in the store.

S

shanks

hey guys i have been having the same trouble i washed the parts with soap and water then wiped them down using alcohol and primed with vallejo gray primer let dry for two days then painted with vallejo paints i use vallejo thinners allso and left for two days i just touch them and the paint seems to rub off and when i scratch the part with my finger nail ever so lightly it just peals off i don't know what to do i have followed all the sugestions here but i still have the trouble with the paint coming off ..

Mike

G

Griffin

In the past I had issue with the paint rubbing off down to the primer. Through trial and error I have found that VMC needs a little tooth in the primer for the best adhesion. Mr Surfacer 1000 airbrushed is just too smooth for the paint and I have had much better luck airbrushing Mr Surfacer 500 or an automotive primer from a rattle can. I also had better results with paint adhesion by using their thinner instead of water.
I read this on a blog today. (Vallejo Model Paints) I'm trying a pop bottle with a variety of thinners and two types of paint so I'll see if I have some luck.