What Varnish to use??

C

Cooperman69

Hi all,

I'm looking for a quality top coat to finish off my model with and I'm a little unsure what make to choose.

At the moment I've got some rattle cans of Humbrol gloss, satin and matt which I've been using on a few starter kits, but my current build I'm hopefully taking a little more seriously and I'd like to know what you guys believe is the best out there?

I've been looking at Vallejo varnishes but not sure if their Liquid Varnish or their airbrush ready Model Varnish are any good. I do own an AB so could use that to apply the top coat.

By the way, I'm looking to buy all 3 types (gloss, satin and matt) and I'm using acyrlics too.

Thanks, Colin.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I use Vallejo and use them in my ab without any problems, you could always try a small bottle to see if you like it, but I would go straight for the 55ml ones better value for money

C

Cooperman69

Thanks John.

Are the 55ml Liquid Varnish bottles the same product as the smaller Model Air items?

In other words are the 55ml Liquid Varnish bottles ready to put straight into your AB?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use the Vallejo varnishes thinned with their own thinners. It's about the only thing I use own brand thinners with but I,like most,have had some unfortunate mishaps with various varnishes over the years. I've not had any problems with Vallejo.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Thanks John.Are the 55ml Liquid Varnish bottles the same product as the smaller Model Air items?

In other words are the 55ml Liquid Varnish bottles ready to put straight into your AB?
I would say they are the same as Vallejo list 2 of each varnish 17ml & 60ml (just noticed I list them as 55ml) as for airbrushing, like Steve said you can thin them with their thinners

C

Cooperman69

Do you have to be quick with varnish in an AB like you have to be with Johnsons Klear, or are they like any other acrylic paint?

T

tecdes

Colin Vallejo market the same varnish for Model Air & Model. Got both 17m & a 55m & cannot see any difference. Used gloss, satin & matt & all have performed well. Tried Humbrol when using enamels but did not find that so good. Not tried any other so cannot comment. When something works do not stop the engine.

Snapper61 has an article tonight where he describes a disaster using Vallejo Matt Varnish. Wings OK but fusalage went white. Tried to replicate this by applying on a number of thinners including a water damp surface but overall these including white spirit it worked perfectly. Strange but he was using a spray can of Vallejo Matt. Did not realise they marketed spray cans.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for all your help.

John, expect an order incoming your way later.. lol.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Do you have to be quick with varnish in an AB like you have to be with Johnsons Klear, or are they like any other acrylic paint?
Found it very easy to use. Does not have the pigments that the paints have & seems to be thinner. Not had any problems with airbrush blocking & that is using it straight from the bottle. Must have a go with thinning as Steve suggests. When I have opened up the brush after passing through a cup of air cleaner the needle is as clean as a whistle (why should a whistle be clean ? Having been in a persons "gob" you would consider it dirty. )

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Thanks for all your help.John, expect an order incoming your way later.. lol.
Placed an order John but had to order a couple of smaller Vallejo thinners bottles as out of stock of the larger item.

Not a problem but was just wondering for next time, are they the same thinners but in different sizes?

First Name
Dave
Ive airbrushed Vallejo matt and satin varnishes thinned 50,50 with their thinners .Perfect results every time.Even the first time i used it when i sprayed too much on.Wicked some away with kitchen towel and left model to dry.Dried to a perfect finish.Wont use anything else now.I used to get the drying white problem with Humbrol matt clear.Horrible stuff.

G

GazB

I airbrush the vallejo straight from the bottle without any problems. I love the matt, it flattens everything beautifully.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I sold the last large bottle of thinners yesterday, I would say its the same, I do have 400ml of vallejo in a jar that you can have for free just pay the postage itsfrom 2 damaged bottles i had.

C

Cooperman69

If your sure John then yes that would be great. I'll PayHow much for postage

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
If your sure John then yes that would be great. I'll PayHow much for postage
Sorry about that, thumbs too big for my iPhone... lol. What I was trying to say was thanks very much and I'll Paypal the postage. How much for the postage mate?Atb, Colin.

C

Cooperman69

I'd just like to say thanks to John for sending me a large jar of his own thinners after selling the last of his stock the day before I ordered some.

Really appreciate that mate.

Atb, Colin.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Your welcome I couldn't really sell it as new in a Volvic bottle lol