What's all this steam punk stuff

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all now I've finished the steam grave yard. Every one keeps saying I could make a great steam punk vehicle out of the stuff, well I've got no room to store the graveyard so maybe I can make the models smaller by putting all the bits onto one model, so, what is steam punk how did it start is it like transformers or something.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I thought steampunk is a hark back to the victorian style of polished wood, brass, dials etc, think films like-the time machine (original) and Doug Mcclure films. Couple that with a modern twist-so a boiler powering a car, or spaceship, or laser weapons with brass fittings etc.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In short, take a modern idea, a car or a motorbike for example and build it as it might have been built in the Victorian steam era.

I am sure if you Google Steam punk model you will get the idea.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
must of been a boarded modeler,looking at alot of old bits and bobs and came up with the idea, :rolleyes:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I believe that it arose in Japan from a magazin. They do like there odd cult culture over there.

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here is a very rough mock up of an idea I have to steampunk my defunct steam engines. It is supposed to be a space craft I will put leds in the rear end, as I said its just an idea what do you think.View attachment 87101

IMAG1868.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

As Ian says you take a modern item and consider what it would have looked like had it been built in the Victorian era driven by steam. There are even such avenues as combining Science Fiction with Steam Punk to give you such things as a Steam Punk Dalek!!:

View attachment 87102

Movies such as the 'Wild Wild West' also included a massive manned steam driven tarantula, which was a pretty imaginative piece of kit::

View attachment 87103

It is all a bit of an anachronism but just letting your imagination run riot and it gives you an opportunity to make a model of anything you wish and no-one can say it is wrong!

Steampunk-Dalek-Render-steampunk-1038399_800_600.jpg

2519286-0326860041-8c6a0beda76344078969621b41b4bebc.jpeg

P

Polux

This idea is magnificent ;)

You could open a thread where we can follow your progress :P

Ps: those days I have been thinking, once the Stuka will be finish, I will return at my majestic farmer :smiling3: will be a funny and relaxing build until Christmas :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would of saved the bits and used some of them in different builds.

The loco unit could be good on a tank chassis or the boiler unit on the back of a lorry.

Sorry mate but as it is, its just not working (for me).

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

It's okay that's what I want I know nothing about steampunk thanks for the input

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Hi all here is a very rough mock up of an idea I have to steampunk my defunct steam engines. It is supposed to be a space craft I will put leds in the rear end, as I said its just an idea what do you think.View attachment 87567
I think the point is that it is a piece of equipment taken from the modern world but built in the style of a Victorian Steam era. What you have there is a combination of steam and modern items, that doesn't really meet the Steam Punk idea. If you really wanted to use a train as an example I would take a modern diesel electric loco, clad it in wood, add all sorts of brass and steel pieces to make it look like a modern train built in the Victorian era. I think it works better though with something considerably more diverse, such as a specifically modern piece of equipment. Something like an i-Pad with a wooden case and brass buttons surrounded with a brass riveted ring. That sort of idea.

How about a model of Concorde, made of canvas and wood and covered with steam bits and pieces. The fuselage could have brass banding round it, the control surfaces could be aluminium with rivet detail across the surfaces and the engine exhausts could have steam funnel caps on them. That is the sort of stuff that gets put together.

R

roymattblack

I built a steam-punk-ish Jaguar car a while back....

Nothing special, but fun from junk box bits.

Roy.

P

Polux

Very nice and original! Those exhaust must be a nightmare for the driver, he can not see nothing!!!! :D :D :D

V

V1P3R

\ said:
They are not exhausts they are air intakes.
You would have to thrash that to get it going then!! I do like it tho, proper bonkers!

Sent from me to you