Whippet Mk. A, Emhar 1/35

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
This is my entry for a WW1 GB elsewhere.......rules being anything WW1 related, starts today, 28th of June (the day in 1914 that Prince Ferdinand was assassinated starting the whole unpleasentness) til 11th of November (last day of war in 1918)

Whippet Mk. A tank by Emhar in 1/35

usual sprue shots

its gone together quite quickly..........its weird that there is no 'hole and peg' type connections, just butt joints

ive done my usual trick with armour this scale and added some large nuts to add some mass. i always think a little weight makes it sit on the tracks a bit better. ive also added a small nut over a drilled hole so i can use some threaded rod as a handle

P

Polux

Interesting choice!

Looks a nice model, and excellent for a weathering ;)

Can I ask if you will paint the red and white parts? Or will just add the decal? :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
at the moment i have no idea ......i might try the decals and see how they settle, if no good then paint them on

N

noble

This is a beautiful kit I did one a few years ago and it goes together beautifully without the need for any filler and looks good too, this is a nice start and I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it, it deserves a diorama I think.

scott

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Paul, and i do like that trick of adding in some weights, i must remember that and make it a must do,

thank you for the tip :D

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
it deserves a diorama I think.
two hopes and one of thems called Bob :D

i dont do dio's,.........simply cos i dont have the room for them! or the attention span lol...............although i am joining in a dio gb later in the year :eek:

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good that is unusual I've never had a kit that didn't have the pin and hole joining method, it must be difficult keeping it square with no locating pins.

First Name
Jason
Interesting subject Paul and coming on nicely, cool tip about the added weight as well. Those tracks look like they might need some work to get them to look convincing though!?

Jason

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
if i hadnt used ca to attach the side bits that carry the tracks then i dont think they would have stuck!!....had problems as it was

guns in and the lid on top then i can get it primed!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
finally got back to the bench......got a bit done today despite having some major airbrush drama.......for some reason i just couldnt find where it was blocked,....had to strip it 4 times before i found it lol

tried some of this pre-shading malarky.....never got on with it in the past, think im too heavy handed and just over cover it when i spray the top colour, but i thought id try again.............bit hard trying to work out what green should be used for these, so i just used some Vallejo Dark Green....which is pretty close to russian green/NATO green.....but by the time its been weathered with oils and washes ans matt varnishes it will be toned down anyway

going to leave it for a day then it will be decal time so the weathering goes over the top of it all

First Name
Jason
Nice job with the preshade Paul. Looks effective.

Jason

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Paul, you still can pick up the per-shading on it,well done ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
some progress

gave it coat of kleer ready to put the decals on.................and changed my mind on some of them!!

seems a lot of these carried red/white markings in various places, no doubt as some kind of identification aid.......but i really didnt fancy putting the decals on. lots of rivets and other details mean i dont think they would settle down even with gallons of microsol, so i decided to try masking and painting. needs a second coat of red..

dont think it will matter if its too rough since i dont think it would have been applied too carefully for real.....and its going to get weathered and washed as well

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's a nice little tank you got there , anyone else notice the track skirts ? To me they have a very similar look to the Matilda :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
so its had a coat of kleer, decals added, white/red stripe added, another coat of kleer to seal it all

the kit comes with decals for various tanks, didnt want to do Ceaser 2 or Firefly which are two famous Whippets.............settled for Fanny Adams

next step is the tracks.......not sure how im going to tackle them, as they are vinyl and in 3 bits. think i shal try painting them, attach them and touch up