Wilkinson multi surface primer.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hello all.

I was out shopping with the GF and I had told her I wanted to get some spray primer.

While in Wilkinsons we saw some multi surface primer, View attachment 35877, the blurb says its OK to use on plastics, so I got some.

Has anyone else used this product before, and if so is it anything like halfords plastic primer I've read about.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony.

View attachment 40238

P38 007.jpg

A

andygh

Dunno about Wilkinsons stuff but the primer I got from Poundshop was awful

P

phalinmegob

i have been using this exact product for about six months and its fine, only thing i have noticed is that the white takes an age to dry and if your not carefull your paints will craze over the top off this but i have been using the grey primer with no problems whatsoever.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Andy and Andrew,

Gonna try this stuff on my next day off (Tues),

I'll let you know how I get on.

Tony.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

phalinmegob

andy, i have a few cans of poundland stuff and its is fit for the bin, it bloody stinks and comes out of the can and spatters everywhere.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi tony , how much was it ? The halfords is about £7.50 for a big 500ml tin.The halfords is also quite quick drying and doesnt smell too harsh, cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Tony,

This primer was only £4.57 for 400mls.

I haven't tried it yet so can't comment on it's drying time or the smell.

but from what Andrew posted, I might have got a bit of a bargain.

Hope so - lol

Tony.

A

andygh

andy, i have a few cans of poundland stuff and its is fit for the bin, it bloody stinks and comes out of the can and spatters everywhere.
Plus it comes out glossy however long you shake the can for and it goes on very thick

Good luck with the Wilkie stuff

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the encouragement Andy.

I've never used a spray paint - AB or can - on any of my builds yet, so we'll see how I get on on Tues.

Just gonna take it gentle.

Tony.

W

wbk666

how did you get one with the primer?

Are there more economical alternatives to the vallejo model air primer i currently use?

B

backonthecase

I will buy in to the opinion of the poundland s***.... thought i was on to a total bargain but it's rubbish! As is the gloss black (which dries with the petroley rainbow effect)

Interested to hear if the Wilko stuff works..... So far the best value is the Halfrauds stuff....

T

tecdes

\ said:
how did you get one with the primer?Are there more economical alternatives to the vallejo model air primer i currently use?
Wayne do you use the 200ml size of Vallejo. John is stocking these at £9:89 which is very competitive in deed.

Using the 17ml which I did originally is expensive but the 200ml is less than half price & will last you a long time.

Laurie

W

wbk666

is that the Acrylic Polyurethane Primer whats it like for airbrushing and would it need thinning and if so by what ratio? yes i've been using the 17ml model air primers :sad:

T

tecdes

\ said:
is that the Acrylic Polyurethane Primer whats it like for airbrushing and would it need thinning and if so by what ratio? yes i've been using the 17ml model air primers :sad:
Hi Wayne

That is the one. Think that this is a primer for all Vallejo paints at least the Model & Model Air. I thin about 15% with Vallejo thinners.Put a thin misty coat first followed by a full final primer coat. Good coverage but not a thick primer leaving panel lines well defined.

They do the primer in a host of colours black white grey brown & red.

Laurie

W

wbk666

there only seems to be black, grey and white in the shop at the moment but that will give me something to order next time, put my order in this morning before seeing this :sad:

P

phalinmegob

\ said:
I will buy in to the opinion of the poundland s***.... thought i was on to a total bargain but it's rubbish! As is the gloss black (which dries with the petroley rainbow effect)Interested to hear if the Wilko stuff works..... So far the best value is the Halfrauds stuff....
the wilko grey primer is fine,keep away from the white

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've used this primer on two builds now and it works great,

Never having used anything else, I haven't got anything to compare it to, but I'm happy.

Tony.