willys jeep scratchbuild large scale part one

B

baz

Hello everyone,

well as they on blue peter here is one I made a little while ago a large scale willys jeep. As a boy I saw many old black and white war films and there were always british and american soldiers riding around in jeeps, roaring all over with machines guns blazing, well a few years ago I got out my plastic sheet and bits and bobs and began to try and build one.

my first job was to do a little research on the net and as luck would have it there is a goldmine of info on the jeep I even found some chassis drawings, and there were many sites with jeeps being rebuilt and having great images on them in all stages of build.

I printed of the small set of chassis drawings and then scaled them up to what I thought was a good size I was never great at maths so I tend to go with my instincts and judge a reasonable size and just go for it. here are the first parts which were made from the chassis drawing.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

View attachment 64192

View attachment 64193

View attachment 64194

View attachment 64195

View attachment 64196

View attachment 64197

View attachment 64198

chassis parts 1.jpg

chassis parts 2.jpg

chassis parts 3.jpg

chassis front.jpg

chassis detail.jpg

chassis rear.jpg

chassis underside.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Great start baz,im keen on following this =)

T

tommy1drop

Nice start Baz ,enjoyed your last scratch build, looking forward to following this one.

Tom

B

baz

willys jeep scratchbuild part two

thank you gentlemen for your comments so I will not keep you in suspense,in part two the images show how the chassis has come together along with the construction of the wheels, which I will have to be honest where a bit of a nightmare but the method is quite simple but requires a bit of patience. Two circles were cut to match the outer diameter of the wheel then the centre cut out a spaceing piece was added to give the right width then onto this were glued the tread pieces as can be seen in the image there were quite a few, I allowed one set to dry then formed them over the top of the tyre to give the impression of tread. The wheels were then painted as this would be hard to do later in the build. Next on the build list was the gearbox engine transmission bits buts thats for part three.

regard Barrie ( the old guy )

View attachment 64265

View attachment 64266

View attachment 64267

View attachment 64268

View attachment 64269

View attachment 64270

View attachment 64271

chassis rear.jpg

chassis underside.jpg

DSCF5973.jpg

DSCF5975.jpg

DSCF5977.jpg

DSCF5978.jpg

DSCF6140.jpg

First Name
Aaron
The tred looks fantastic Baz as does the chasis.Nice job on the diff.Do you use a kit for reference?I imagine a kits instructions would be helpful

B

baz

Hello Aaron,

no kit reference just stuff from the good old internet I had a good chassis drawing a lot of the build was done by eye and a little guess work where it was not possible to find reference plus the fact I have been a motor mechanic for 40 years and have a good knoledge of where things should be and how they should look, it helps a great deal at times with model work. Reference is the first job of any model and can sometimes be the hardest as drawings plans and good images are hard to find but the internet has been good I thank all those people who put things on for model makers to try to recreate many things in miniature. I will post some images later.

Are you a keen scratchbuilder ...? what area is your chosen subject as you can see I will have a go at anything and everything.

regards Barrie ( the old guy)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Impressive work Baz, look forward to seeing more.

B

baz

willys jeep scratchbuild part three

Hello everyone here is another part of my willys jeep build, the images show the chassis completed with axles and wheels attached, the engine was formed from a box shape with the sump being a few sheets stacked together then sanded to shape the gearbox was also just a box with some dressing parts attached. the radiator was also made at this satge so that I could work out where the engine would sit in the chassis at this stage I had made up my mind that the bodywork would be a seprate model and would be left unconnected to the chassis but could be lifted off to show the chassis detail. speaking of chassis detail a lot of the nuts and bolts were made from plastruct hexegan rod which is available in quite a few sizes and is a must for any scratchbuilders bits box, evergreen rod and tube is also a must for this type of model work they produce a great range of rod tube and section.

anyway here are the pics please let me know if you need to know anything about the build.

View attachment 64309

View attachment 64310

View attachment 64311

View attachment 64312

View attachment 64313

View attachment 64314

View attachment 64315

View attachment 64316

View attachment 64317

View attachment 64318

DSCF6259.jpg

DSCF6143.jpg

DSCF6146.jpg

DSCF6241.jpg

DSCF6249.jpg

DSCF6300.jpg

DSCF6302.jpg

DSCF6303.jpg

DSCF6263.jpg

DSCF6260.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Like I said, impressive stuff. Those wheels are looking fantastic.

First Name
Aaron
Rolling chasis...thumbs up.

Engine n drivetrain look great.

I couldnt scratchbuild my way out of a wet modelbox baz.I like to build german and russian afvs at the moment.Im lucky to oob build something that looks like it should hence my appreciation for guys that can turn kits into art,let alone nothing into art like you do.

B

baz

willys jeep scratchbuild part four

Thank you Mr Flyjoe180 for your kind words here are some more images for you, and you Mr arron just have to set your mind to it scratchbuilding is not difficult if you can use a steel ruler a sharp knife and stick plastic you have all that is required, it is just like putting together a kit but you make each piece and you can add as much as you want or remove things and start again you can make it as big as you want simple as you want or difficult. the thing you must do is have a go just break down what ever model you are going to make into its basic shapes most of which are a box a sphere a circle or tube thenjust do that build a tube box ect sphere can be a real challange so I try to find one ready made. Just go for it I have been at it ( model making that is ) for over 30 years ( hence the old guy ) and I have not get things right yet but I just keep on trying, people often ask me which is the very best model you have built and I always reply the same I have not built my best model yet as I learn from each one I build.

enjoy the pics regards Barrie ( the old guy )

View attachment 64356

View attachment 64357

View attachment 64358

View attachment 64359

View attachment 64360

View attachment 64361

View attachment 64362

View attachment 64363

View attachment 64364

DSCF6313.jpg

DSCF6314.jpg

DSCF6315.jpg

DSCF6369.jpg

DSCF6371.jpg

DSCF6429.jpg

DSCF6430.jpg

DSCF6449.jpg

DSCF6470.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Stunning detail Baz, Comming along sweet.

First Name
Aaron
Rolling chasis looks great with a lick of paint.What paint do you use Baz? Body alsi looks mint as does the browning.Dragon makes large figures that look like they may be close to scale. What scale would this be?

First Name
Chris
I've not been keeping tabs on the site for a while so have missed your posts Barry. I have to say this is probably the finer piece of scratch building I've ever seen. I shall be watching with interest to see the grand finale.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Chris

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's coming along nicely Barry, looks great from here.

B

baz

Thank you gentlemen for your kinds words I just love building models I will have a go at most things now to answer a couple of questions

Aaron I use good old Humbrol paints have done for over 30 years not keen on acrylics except for artwork ( paintings ) which I also dabble in from time to time, as for the scale with out all the fancy calculations it is about 1/6th 1/7th or so I just scale up a small drawing of the internet and thought YES thats a good size. I shall put some more images on monday. Your good comments give me the inspiration to keep on doing what I love doing best making models. thanks regards Barrie ( the old guy )

First Name
Aaron
I was a fan of enamels untill i finally tried vallejo acrylics.Dragon do 1:6th scale figures.They look like the "action man" i played with as a kid.Do you sculp Baz?

B

baz

Hi Everyone,

Yes Aaron I do do a little bit of what you could call sculpting now and again but not very often, the last thing I did was to repair a rabbit for my partner Carol which been frost damaged over the winter, rebuilt his nose and ears he is now as good as new. Here are a few more pice of the willys jeep to keep you guys happy. I will have to have a look for the figures as soom times I think my large scratchbuilds could do with that "human " touch if you get what I mean.

thanks for all your comments boys,

View attachment 64721

View attachment 64722

View attachment 64723

View attachment 64724

View attachment 64725

View attachment 64726

View attachment 64727

View attachment 64728

View attachment 64729

View attachment 64730

View attachment 64731

View attachment 64732

View attachment 64733

View attachment 64734

DSCF6573.jpg

DSCF6575.jpg

DSCF6577.jpg

DSCF6578.jpg

DSCF6579.jpg

DSCF6585.jpg

DSCF6599.jpg

DSCF6600.jpg

DSCF6605.jpg

DSCF6606.jpg

DSCF6597.jpg

DSCF6595.jpg

DSCF6586.jpg

DSCF6584.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
Awesome. Nice pigment work on the feet Baz. I take it you stencil the markings. Fantastic.