Windy's Matchbox/Revell GB entry - Char B1 Bis and FT 17.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi all. The Dragon Churchill Mk IV has temporarily gone onto the shelf of doom while I work out what to do with the disastrous paint job, so here are my entries for the Matchbox GB. As promised I've got the Char B1 Bis and FT 17 which I've wanted to build for years.

First off the box:

_20200510_162106.JPG

Then the sprue shot:

_20200508_193152.JPG

And kit history from Scalemates:

20200503_193655.jpg

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice, I always liked these two (and in fact, built at least two of each over the years :smiling3:) so it’ll be interesting to see what you make of them. I see Revell now mould them in grey, not green like they used to.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi all. Quick update. FT 17 built and ready for undercoating. It's a very simple little build and went together with no dramas. Char B next. The walls aren't glued to the base yet as I might widen the roadway a bit.

_20200510_154548.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Before things get to mixed up please can you make a separate thread for the priest . Forum GB's rule one subject per thread. Unless the GB Is a diorama GB.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Before things get to mixed up please can you make a separate thread for the priest . Forum GB's rule one subject per thread. Unless the GB Is a diorama GB.

Roger. Wait out.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant choice alex , these look excellent and if i recall theyre really small as tanks go . The base was a good one too , with the fallen shutters and the arch . Cheers tony

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks mate, it's a nice little kit. And yes, they were tiny. They had a two man crew and were about 16 ft long and weighed 6.5 tonnes. The model is just over two and a half inches, including the skid at the rear.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Char B done. It needed a lot more cleaning up than the Renault, as did the figures, but it went together with no issues. I was going to replace the antenna with a bit of wire but then I had a look at some original photos. The bloody things were like tree trunks!

I might get them undercoated tonight, but unfortunately I'm working all day tomorrow so I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to make a start on painting.

_20200515_195454.JPG

Here's an original picture showing the size of the radio antenna!
b1 111 dunkerque 01.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Jeez Alex that’s a big aerial , It’s more like a flagpole ! if you compare it to the blokes finger in the photo it must be about 1-2 inch in diameter! For once the kit makers got it spot on , although like yourself if I hadn’t seen the photo my first instinct would be to replace the kit aerial with something a lot thinner

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
that’s a big aerial , It’s more like a flagpole ! if you compare it to the blokes finger in the photo it must be about 1-2 inch in diameter!
Older tank antennas are often much thicker than people think, and frequently tapered rather than with parallel sides.

For once the kit makers got it spot on
It will break off anyway (I say from experience with this kit :smiling3:).

More like a "Mast" than an aerial:smiling5: Rick H.
They could put a sail on it to make the tank go faster in a suitable wind. It kind of needed that, with its top speed of 28 km/h on a good, flat road.

Oh, and:—

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Bit of progress at last. Wretched things like work keep getting in the way! Figures are done, though they need a coat of matt varnish yet, and I've made a start on the B1. I decided I couldn't live with the kit antenna after all so I replaced it with a bit of wire. I also added a couple of hooks for the tow chain to the rear plate.

_20200520_102332.JPG
_20200520_103330.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
That's the Char B1 ready for washes and weathering tomorrow. Decals are for a tank named Bourrasque and the camouflage pattern was taken from the Tamiya scheme for the same vehicle. Brush painted with Humbrol enamels - Green 150 and Ochre 94.

_20200521_215601.JPG

10289946t2.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alex

Looking very good so far.

I was at Tankfest a couple of years ago when they shipped over the only running Char B1 from France. I've got a few pics if you'd like to me share them on here?

ATB

Andrew