Ww aircraft

First Name
Ian
Hi Everyone
I'm new to the forum. I've been building model kits on and off since I was 6 I'm 66 on Sunday so it's been a long time.
I've never taken it seriously I've just had an urge to build something and I always found model planes interesting. Especially military ones. Recently I decided that it would be less taxing on my health if I started doing something less physical. So here I am back at the start with an urge to build model aircraft. Hopefully age and experience will count for something and maybe my model building skills will have improved.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Ian.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Don't
Thank you
I will no doubt, have a few questions in the foreseeable future.

Don't forget to have a look through the Q&A threads as there's a good chance you're question has already been in asked.... And don't be afraid to share pictures of your builds too!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ian. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your modelling time. There are many talented modellers here, and they will all freely pass on any information you need. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how basic.

First Name
Ian
Hi Tim
Thanks for the advice, I will ask if I get stuck. One question that does spring immediately to mind is who is the best manufacturer of models. I've usually built Airfix or Revell but I'm willing to try other suppliers.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Depends on what you want to spend and how complex you want the build to be, I personally think eduard and ICM make some good quality kits for sensible money.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
A warm welcome to a great forum full of friendly, helpful modellers.
Jim

First Name
Ian
T
Depends on what you want to spend and how complex you want the build to be, I personally think eduard and ICM make some good quality kits for sensible money.
I like large scale models and I don't mind paying for good quality.

First Name
Ian
The Tamiya Spitfire is gorgeous (Mk1xc)
Not cheap but a beautiful example.
I'll have a look at it. All the tamiya models I've built in the past have been very good. From a build perspective. I'm not a purist so I wouldn't know if the detail was correct or not.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and Welcome.
It is very hard to say who makes good kits of aircraft. Easier to say what to avoid.
A good example is Kitty Hawk. Good subjects, the detail is good and the plastic good. The fit and general design is terrible. This is not just me saying it either. Most on here that have tried one concur.
You cant go wrong with Tamiya, they almost build themselves.
Airfix of newer date make some very nice 1/48 scale birds. The New super kit 1/24 Spitfire looks to be very detailed. Unfortunately their pricing has gone mad.
Eduard kits are rather nice and build well, good detail and often with brass and resin ''bits'.
Revell have a good range in both 48th and 32nd. Their Ardo floatplanes are very good. their others get mixed reviews but hey ho you get what you pay for. Bit thin on detail but looks like what it is supposed to be.
Top tip would be to google the model you are interested in and see some reviews. You can at least see what is in the box and figure out if it is one you want to spend your beer tokens on.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I'll have a look at it. All the tamiya models I've built in the past have been very good. From a build perspective. I'm not a purist so I wouldn't know if the detail was correct or not.
I thoroughly enjoyed building it, it was flawless in build quality.

I'm now waiting for the new Airfix Spit.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Tim
Thanks for the advice, I will ask if I get stuck. One question that does spring immediately to mind is who is the best manufacturer of models. I've usually built Airfix or Revell but I'm willing to try other suppliers.

Firstly welcome to the forum

Regarding the 'best' kit. Depends which subject you want to build.