WW1 Whippet

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

as part of my break from ECW cavalry I thought I would do a little 'kit-bashing' and found this in my stash - the Meng Whippet.

it is a nice little kit which goes together nicely - the tracks clip together form flexible single link tracks, very nice.

it was painted using Tamiys acrylic - my home made mix for the WW1 colour - i then added a few, not many, spots of oil paint ( browns and greens)which were worked using an old brush to blend it. This breaks up the flat base colour. After a couple of nights in the airing cupbord a wash of burnt umber oil paint to enhance the seam lines and details. After leaving it to dry for a couple more days in the airing cupboard I dry brushed it with various shades of lighter green.

the final stage was to add mud. A very watery mix of Tamiya flat earth paint, polyfilla, PVA glue and sieved ground (it is mud after all!) was applied in washes, adding a bit here and there, removing some with a cotton bud. I think i left too much on, but being a paint based mix it is now too late to remove any.

overall, as a 'filler' project I am reasonably happy.

IMG_0446.jpegIMG_0447.jpegIMG_0448.jpegIMG_0449.jpeg
The final stage was to rub some graphite onto the tracks to represent where the tracks have worn to the bare metal. This was from a 6B pencil rubbed on sanding paper which I rubbed my finger on and then over the tracks.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks guys - it wasa nice little 'filler' project. A very nice kit.

Peter

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
'Well now, laddie. Now you've had your fun driving through that chalk pit, get that bloody tank cleaned up!'

BTW, I assume being Meng this is 1/35th?