Yet another Dragon 1/16 Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5116.JPG

Probably my last 1/16 Dragon figure for a while, as I've now built most of what's still available. This is their late war Volkesgrenadier.

The sprues, one unique, and three generic:

100_5117.JPG100_5118.JPG

The one thing I won't be doing is painting camo - I find the process so unutterably tedious that it takes all of the fun out the build. Instead, I'll be going for plain Field Grey, which has the advantage of allowing the folds and creases of the uniform to be shown to their best advantage. Incidentally, I came across this picture in a discussion on Field Grey;

tumblr_nw33q870Ug1sm9y4po1_1280.jpg

All vintage uniforms, and despite some obvious fading with age, a huge variation in hue and tone. The earlier uniforms tended to be more blue-green in colour, and as I have something similar in Vallejo's German Uniform, I intend to use that.

As Field Grey winter wear was more common in the earlY stages of the war, I've swapped some of the equipment for earlier variants, such as an MP40 and ammo pouches.

He's ready to paint:

100_5120.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie.

Mojo's flopped at the moment. Decided to work on a bust in the meantime to try and revive my interest.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read this Peter. Hope this is just a blip.
Interesting about the various colours on the uniforms, certainly makes me feel better with some of my efforts .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'm sure the mojo will return. Most of us experience highs and lows in the hobby. Face is nice. That's an interesting picture - 40 Shades of Grey.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter
I'm sure the mojo will return. Most of us experience highs and lows in the hobby. Face is nice. That's an interesting picture - 40 Shades of Grey.
Jim
Jim !

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Chaps.

Mojo partially restored by a walk in the wonderful downland countryside around Bishopsbourne (despite Rees-Moggy presence at Bourne Park). Started work on a bust, which got the paint hand flexed, so back to this one today.

Re the Field Grey - I'll never worry about uniform colour again.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Sorry to hear you are feeling low and mojo-less, a good 1:10 bust should help kindle a spark, and can be dipped and stripped as often as needed.

Its been a typical British summer week, and a miserable week off!

Back to it tomorrow and back to some form of order and routine.

Anna and I are both struggling with new mobiles as we upgraded our contracts last week.

Changed from Huawei to Samsung, both android but what a difference, and how do you do anything?

Hopefully a good day, though the weather may not be with you.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

So sorry that your week off was spoiled by the bad weather. August has been awful for the past few years and it looks like it may remain that way for the future. We had a dramatic walk on the extremely windy downs south of Canterbury yesterday.

And guess what? I'm the only person in the world who does not own, and never has owned, a mobile phone!!!! What a freak. I'm pretty phonophobic and the thought people being able to contact me at any time horrifies me. When I give people my landline number, they look at me as though I've just walked out of the stone age.

Found some mojo:

100_5124.JPG100_5125.JPG100_5126.JPG

Actually really enjoyed doing this in the end. I've used two different colours for the uniform, Vallejo's Field Grey and their German Uniform - thought it would be nice to have a different shade for the trousers.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Shouldn't worry about the phone and being from "the stone age " I've only written less than 5 cheques and never used one of those cash machines in my whole life.:smiling:
Figures looking good as we have come to expect.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Autumn on the way, you can smell it in the air and feel the dip in temperature.

Lovely figure and love the contrast in Field Greys too.

What is the belt above the main belt, at the lower back for?

Couldn't figure it out at all!

Don't blame you for never owning a mobile at all.

I can't remember the last time I actually took a call on the mobile LOL!

Its my mobile information and entertainment devise, and camera too, though Huawei has been "excluded" from many of the image web sites.

So, I had to change to get my photos back into circulation, eventually!

One of the great benefits of this forum is you can upload photos directly without having to use a URL.

As for cheques John, who still takes a cheque?

My cheque book, yes I still have one, is dated 19...., its that old, and still has blanks in it!

Though the last cheques we used for Christmas presents, we had to change for cash as our nieces don't have a local bank branch!

Have a good day with the accessories.

Time to get the warmer clothes aired and ready to use

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

It always makes me feel left behind when I see on TV a Maasai tribesman, or even a forest Pygmy with a mobile tucked into his robes.

Cheque book, what's that, or cash for that matter?

The belt at the back of the figure connects the ammo pouches, I suppose to stop them slipping forward. The pouches also had belt loops and harness rings, so perhaps a case of over-engineering again? Should get him finished today.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here we go then:

100_5146.JPG100_5145.JPG100_5144.JPG100_5142.JPG

I thought this one would be fairly easy to finish, especially as I was going to use some pre-painted items of equipment saved from a cabinet cull. I tried to fit the gear in logical order - grenade, belt loop, ammo pouches, hands, gun - but no. Trying to fit the gun necessitated removing the ammo pouches and having to re-position them, as well as altering the hands so that they fitted onto the sleeves. Everything got a bit gluey, and I had to scrape down areas of the jacket and re-paint it. I lost one of the ammo pouches for a while, only to find it glued firmly to my elbow! The air turned a bit blue for a while.

Anyway, he just about made it. You may remember that I was going to give him and MP40 and pouches, but I opted for the kit MP44, mainly because I had some pre-painted pouches (not my favourite things to paint as they're very time-consuming).

Next, back to the bust.