Young Miniatures Norman Knight Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7406.JPG

I fancied a change of scene, so this is the first of a pair of busts depicting characters from 1066 (I've also got hold of an MJ Miniatures Saxon). My wife an I enjoyed a visit to Battle Abbey last year, and I've been meaning to do something along this line for a while.

Norman knights always wore a chain mail hauberk, so I assume that our man is wearing a padded surcoat over that for identification, For that reason I may play with the colour scheme, perhaps quartering it. The box art also depicts a leather, metal trimmed helmet, but as leather would have been totally useless in that context, I'm going to paint it as steel.

The box contents:

100_7407.JPG

All up to the usual Young's standard. I'm stuck with the head on this one, so it has to work!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good head on this one....And your painting is better than the box art.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stand away from that head.

D

Deleted member 6559

So glad you like it people - your encouragement is worth a thousand Pro-Art Prolene Plus Series 7 0000 brushes!

I did have to tinker with the face a bit once I'd put the nose-guard on, namely putting a dark shadow along the bridge of the nose. Then it was on to the helmet, which was a real nightmare:

100_7426.JPG

I struggled with the fact that the sculptor has given the metalwork a rough and hammered finish, which obviously prevents a simpler clean and polished look. I did paint the whole thing as steel, but it looked terrible, so I went with the idea on the box art and painted the panels red - either painted steel or covered with fabric. That's the best I can get it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Certainly stands out well Peter, good choice.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nicely done. That chainmail looks particularly well sculpted.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As always your metal work is fantastic Peter. Wish I could get mine half as good....

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Neil, though I think it's the critter's knees we're meant to allude to (or perhaps you're trying to tell me something!).

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

great work, again, and somewhat ""looser" finish too, after your concerns over the last head and your painting style being too "tight"

It looks suitably loose to me!

Its going to be another hot one and weekend and week ahead!!

Is this what no pollution will give us?

Have a good day with the Knight, LOL

Quartering the surcoat will definitely raise it above the box art, and as you have a red on the helmet, why not

Enjoy the painting

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Thank you.

Steve - Interesting what you say about the looser style, as it's obviously not something that I was trying consciously to achieve; the demands of the individual sculpt dictate the means somewhat. I've set myself a bit of a task with the quartered surcoat - perhaps a white and blue scheme will be easiest. Sunny here, but the temperature is tempered by a pesky cold wind off the North Sea. Have fun with the Spitfire.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now painted the surcoat:

100_7430.JPG100_7431.JPG100_7434.JPG100_7435.JPG

I found a bottle of Vallejo Light Green in my paint box, and not having used it before, I decided to give it a go here - lovely to paint with, and mixed with Light Yellow for the highlights. The white is a mix of Off White and German Camo Black Brown, and the leather a mix of the black brown, Saddle Brown, Leather Brown and Light Yellow, with a final coat of satin varnish. The back will be mostly covered by the shield, but you can never tell how much will show.

Still the axe and the shield to do, for which I need to research suitable decoration.

D

Deleted member 4539

Super work Peter :smiling3:.
I have to say though that all the colours are wrong....it looks nothing like a Panzer Commander:tears-of-joy:.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

That is a very nice rendition. Great colours and subtle painting.

John