ZULU! The Store House...Rorke's Drift...January 1879

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all,

I've been wanting to pluck up courage to have a stab at this (See what I wrote there?!) for some time, so now the darker evenings are here, I'm going to have a bash at it. I've never tried to copy stuff before, as I prefer the free flowing of my own ideas and find trying to copy a bit daunting, particularily as this is my first ever attempt!

I've made a quiet start. It is in 1/72 scale. I had a look at various Rorke's Drift web sites and came to the conclusion that despite some 'brick and stone counters', bickering and arguing, no one knows for deffo what the buildings looked like, so I've taken an average and 'did me own!'.....Purists elsewhere might rip it to shreads, but it'll do me and it's all mine!

A certain model making company do both the hospital and storehouse.. but at £400 for the store house alone, I decided to build my own for now't...

As usual, I've made 1/72 scale paper plans for both buildings, but due to space limits, I'm going to concentrate on the Storehouse, the kraal, the redoubt and the barricades connecting these structures.

I might do the Hospital later if I'm still sane!

The initial building work started off badly as I will explain, but hey ho, that's all part of dioramaringing...

Here is the 1/72 paper template

View attachment 87860

Transferred to the Pizza base with stones and bricks engraved onto the pieces. Sorry, not too clear.

View attachment 87861

Painted 1st coat and ready for sticking together

View attachment 87862

View attachment 87863

View attachment 87864

Here's when I found out what a ball's up I'd made.....

A- The building had a hip roof, not a gable.

B- It was a one piece roof, not step down as shown here.

C- The outer stair case was a wooden affair not solid stone.

Apart from those three, I had got it summat like, yeh right......What a tos**r!

Take note Ron, don't go with the first picture you look at!!!!!

I wasn't going to put my foot on the thing and start again, but chose to 'Modify' what I already had. (Next post)

Despite this initial setback I'm enjoying the build, as it's something different.....

What I'm not looking forward to is the painting of 4000 1/72 Zulus and 150 British soldiers!!

Next up, how the Storehouse modification is turning out.

All comments and suggestions welcomed with open arms...I'll need them for sure before this is done!

Here's to another build with plenty of 'Crack'

Ron

Rorkes Drift 003.jpg

Rorkes Drift 002.jpg

Rorkes Drift 004.jpg

Rorkes Drift 005.jpg

Rorkes Drift 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great start Ron.

Now come on don't let the side down with your shoddy buildings, what a total waist of money, having to rebuild it again. ;)

D

dubster72

Are you stooping to Class A drugs now Ron? Boddingtons lost its appeal :P

Another meisterwerk on they way! Always worth pulling a chair up for ;)

btw isn't the film a decent reference for buildings & layout?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
thanks for the input chaps....

Ian, rebuild? Recycle and modify, if you don't mind!

John, I hope you can pick up something on the way that might be of use to you. I hope I do too....

Patrick, the film set doesn't look much like the paintings and sketches of Rorke's Drift. That's why I chose the Google Images route and still got it wrong!......Still a great film though!

T

treyzx10r

Got my popcorn and a tall pint ,getting comfy for another Ron epic build! Eagerly awaiting to see what you conjure up for the setting,small set backs are just part of the fun right?

D

daveb257

Will keep an eye on this one Ron, you seen much of the RAF playing today?

T

tommy1drop

Great start Ron, got my chair pulled up and I am looking forward to seeing more of this build buddy;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought you'd been a bit quiet! I'll be joining the others.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Will keep an eye on this one Ron, you seen much of the RAF playing today?
Been loads flying over. It's been The Rhyl Airshow today. All the aircraft were just a bit far away to photograph.

I recognised a Spitfire and what looked like other WW2 stuff. The Red Arrows flew directly over us this evening, then turned and I think 'Buzzed' the Aerospace Factory a few miles from us, before coming over ours again but one at a time, prior - I presume - to landing there for the night.

D

daveb257

They've just left for Scampton, 20 mins early so big plan to go & film take off didn't work, will try & put video up of earlier stuff on the "what flew over...." Thread

Sorry for hijack

First Name
barry
Looking good Ron always liked the zulu war period will be following this build.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great start Ron always enjoy your work, and you will nutt out a fix for the little mishaps ;)

ok lads move along got room for one more, hope you dont mind but i smoke,o_O

oh my painting 4000 little zulu wish you luch on that one whats day do you get for visitor,after that,:rolleyes:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great start Ron, that building looks awesome. As for painting all those figures in 1/72, good luck mate.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What a subject Ron, and a good start, despite the false start.

My image of the skirmish at Rorke's Drift has been irredeemably tainted by the 1964 film and Michael Caine trying to be posh :eek:, so I'll be interested to see what you make of this. It's still a great film though. It used to be a Christmas favourite when you could easily count the number of available television channels on one hand, unless I'm mistaken.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
What a subject Ron, and a good start, despite the false start.My image of the skirmish at Rorke's Drift has been irredeemably tainted by the 1964 film and Michael Caine trying to be posh :eek:, so I'll be interested to see what you make of this. It's still a great film though. It used to be a Christmas favourite when you could easily count the number of available television channels on one hand, unless I'm mistaken.

Cheers

Steve
Cheers Steve....I seem to remember The Great Escape and Ben Hur were also on the bill!!!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
One of my favourite films is Zulu and I see your up your usual high standard of work Ron

Great start