Zvezda 1/35 BMW R12 Motorbike/Sidecar - a small build

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst waiting for my DAS to dry on my IIB u-boat, I decided to grab a small model from the stash, as a time filler.
zvezda r12.jpg
I wasn't intending to blog this, but I've found that it's quite a complicated model, that I thought may interest some.
I didn't take any sprue shots, but once I got started realised that it's not a simple model! It has no less than 158 parts - all crammed into 65mm!
The engine & frame parts are all petite & delicate that need careful removal from the sprue. TET is essential, as is a good pair of tweezers. The instructions need careful study, but the fit of the parts, so far, is very good.DSCF1317.JPGDSCF1318.JPG
There's 26 parts in the engine & frame alone, and there's still more to add...........
Now that it is together & can be handled a bit more easily, I can go round & clean up some of the more obvious seams.
I think this may take a little longer than I originally thought!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh my. That is a lot of parts. Hope it goes together well.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This thing's quite addictive, added a few more parts..................
DSCF1320.JPG
I'll have to decide when to start painting - the wheels I'll keep separate for now. The sidecar will obstruct one side of the bike, so it will be pretty soon.
This model was also reboxed by Revell a few years ago. It's still around - I've seen it on Amazon at £12.23, inc delivery - around the same price as the Italeri 1/35 BMW & sidecar - which dates from 1977!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a good kit of an interesting subject Dave. Out of interest, do you get the crew and the pig?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks a good kit of an interesting subject Dave. Out of interest, do you get the crew and the pig?
You get the option of 2 crew in normal uniform, or one in shirtsleeves, with a pig for sidecar occupant - I'm not going to use the pig, but I'll assemble it & put up a picture tomorrow. The boxart is rather misleading, as there isn't room for man and pig in the sidecar.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds good value to me. It looks light years ahead of the old Tamiya kit I made when I returned to the hobby as well. I might have to look into it!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Superb Dave!!
I have a stash of Motorcycle kits all on it`s own!! :dizzy: and have this one part built on my shelf,
You`re correct about them being addictive,and i must say that,in my opinion,the Zvezda offerings are right up there with the best,both for ease of build,and details.
Looks like you`re off to a cracking or,(in reverence to the pig),should that be CRACKLING :tears-of-joy: start!!
Good stuff Sir:cool:,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A BMW motorbike was built under license in the USSR & Zvezda do a couple of versions...................
zvezda m-72 crew.jpg
The other version is more interesting
zvezda m-72 mortar.jpeg
The mortar is carried in the sidecar, and could be fired with very little preparation. You can download the instructions from the Zvezda website - I thought it would be just a mod of the R-12, but it's completely different - I'm going to have a prowl, to see if I can get this at a good discount.................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Due to recent "Don`t post pics on other`s threads" restrictions i won`t,
But i have done the Mortar kit in a little dio,it`s a great little kit,thoroughly enjoyed it:thumb2:.
Andy

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice-looking model, certainly far better than the Italeri and (especially) Tamiya R-75 and KS-750 kits of the 1970s :smiling3:

Do they also make a solo bike, without the sidecar? (Which, BTW you should not build from the R-75 or KS-750 kits, even if both Tamiya and Italeri released those as separate kits. They were sidecar-only. I don’t know if the R-12 was too, though.)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice-looking model, certainly far better than the Italeri and (especially) Tamiya R-75 and KS-750 kits of the 1970s :smiling3:

Do they also make a solo bike, without the sidecar? (Which, BTW you should not build from the R-75 or KS-750 kits, even if both Tamiya and Italeri released those as separate kits. They were sidecar-only. I don’t know if the R-12 was too, though.)
Yes, Zvezda do a solo R-12
zvezda solo r12.jpg
but not a solo M-72
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi Dave, I built the same motorbike/ sidecar combo a few years back with one of my my first attempts at a 'Tank Dio', 'I've got to say I really enjoyed throwing it together, and the idea of the pig in the side car didn't half give me a chuckle..

Admin Edit: Pictures removed as they were not asked for/unsolicited.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think I could just about manage those two Russian bikes, going to have a look .
Thanks for posting them Dave .

Just bought the M72 Side car and bike.
Had to send to Russia to get it .

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further progress - here's the trussed pig & in the instructions a pic showing the real life scene!
DSCF1321.JPG
Just about ready to spray a primer coat.
DSCF1324.JPGDSCF1325.JPG
Tweezers , steady hands are essential ( an Optivisor would help )!
Sidecar started
DSCF1326.JPG
A really fine set of spruecutters would be a great help, as well as new scalpel blades - some of the parts are very small & great care is needed to get them off the sprue.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Lovely little kit, coming on a treat. I built the Revell(?) version a while ago. The big let down was the over scale wheel spokes. I replaced them with PE. Cleaning up the fins on the engine was a real so and so, I spent ages on mine and they were still there :thinking:. Looking forward to the paint :thumb2:
Jim

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Picked this up, after a few days afloat!
DSCF1333.JPG
Next will be adding the wheels. I'm going to have to start on the figures. I think seeing that the rider fits before adding the sidecar will be easier than trying to thread him between car and bike ( or maybe just his lower half only ).
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming along very nicely Dave:cool:,
Painting as you go is definitely the ticket in my opinion,novel idea putting just the Rider`s lower half in at this stage..........after building quite a few Bike Combi`s,i`ve never thought of that...... seems a blimmin` good idea to me:thumb2:!
Good stuff,
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave.