1/12 Tamiya Ferrrari 312 T4

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hello all, New boy here. I am currently working through the kit in the title.
I did a lot of these great Tamiya Formula 1 kit when I was a teenager (about 40 odd years ago :flushed: ) and have recently re-started doing some serious model making again, so thought these would be ideal. I've already had a go at the Renault RE80 - great kit, very challenging engine (V6 twin turbo ) but I made a right lash-up of the exhaust/turbo assembly so I'm not going to post any photos of that as I'm ashamed of it, but I'm more into the swing of things now , so the Ferrari is going better.
(side note - This kit is not currently being manufactured and looking on the internet at E bay etc most of the ones on offer are around the £3-400 mark, and mostly from Japan so add a considerable amount for P&P, but, as I live in France I found one on 'Bon Coin' , a sort of French 'Gumtree' style site , still wrapped in the original cellophane, for €150. Bargain!)
Anyway, I've got through most of the engine stuff now so I will dare to post pictures of the progress.
One thing I have leaned while doing this is the value of a good hair dryer! Let me explain...
This is a flat 12 engine with the distributor and fuel metering head mounted on top, so there are 12 ignition leads (black sheathed copper wire, so not to bad to shape into place ) and 12 fuel lines. The fuel line which is supplied come in a circular bundle and is pretty reluctant to be moved into any other shape, but most of the lines need to go a pretty torturous route to get from the metering head to each injector, but I found by warming them up gently with a hair dryer they became perfectly malleable and would route around any obstacles easily. This also eased the mounting of the battery and the ignition pack . As you can see I messed up the decal on the battery (:sleeping2: ) and so will probably have to paint over it and find another manufacturers decal somehow. So its a step along the way. now onto the gearbox...
IMG_5137.JPGIMG_5139.JPG

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi welcome to the forum, good luck with the build,looking very nice so far.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Peter, nice model to introduce yourself with.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Now that's some serious detail on that lump, welcome to the madhouse..

• Haha
Reactions: JR
First Name
Andrea
Welcome Peter.
I built that kit many many years ago, when I was a teenager and it was a pleasure to build it sporting n. 12 on nose and air intake. I still have the screwdriver provided by Tamiya for the wheels.
The only big issue I had was about the car body (the red plastic parts) as some parts, those over the radiators, didn't fit perfectly. I don't know if I made some mistakes assembling the frame or if it was a kit fitting problem. Being a Tamiya kit, I guess the guilty one was the modeller.:smiling4:. Decals are not great too, but that is a well known Tamya limit.
Happy modelling and enjoy this forum.

Andrea

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
....rrrepha....can almost hear it.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Welcome Peter, a great introduction piece, and very nice it is too.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Not often you see these big beasties being built, so that's really something. The recent re-issues added all sorts of etch stuff, but older issues can sell for the same sort of money

Have you tried a decal softener to 'fix' the battery transfer, or failing that, remove it?

Let's see how this goes. I'm looking forward to it
Welcome aboard

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Welcome, great build so far will watch out for more on this build
I have a few F1 cars in my stash never attempted any yet..
Simon

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings to the forum Peter.
That's quite a working of those fuel lines , very nice.

DanGermain

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Love that! Lovely job. Got the same kit sat next to me, original, not started. I built one in about 1982, so looking forward to it once I get back in the saddle. :thumb2: