1/16 RC Challenger.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
How long do you get out the batteries when having a run about, A few years ago I had a huge Abrams Tank, (possibly 1/16 scale) but got bored after a few months due to seeming to spend most of my time charging batteries for a quick twenty minute run around the garden....so I ended up giving it away..

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
How long do you get out the batteries when having a run about, A few years ago I had a huge Abrams Tank, (possibly 1/16 scale) but got bored after a few months due to seeming to spend most of my time charging batteries for a quick twenty minute run around the garden....so I ended up giving it away..

Hi Chris, the problem is the battery MAh. The Standard battery supplied is a 7.2V 1800MAh-it isn't the voltage that is the issue but the MHa. Once that starts to drop the tank will have issues. You are correct, a standard battery will give you 10 to 15 mins run time. I use 7.2 V 3500MHa, this gives me a run time of 30mins or even more, the trick is not to run too much at full speed. The batteries I use last me all day at our home events, run for 5-10 mins, stop then start again, just turn off the tanks when you have finished. Now, the 7.2V get slightly bigger in size the more MHa there is, yes, run time is extended but, they will not fit into the tank, to remedy this you have to perform surgery and replace the hull screws with magnets, cut out the internal battery box frame, make a false bottom. You can of course go the LIPO route, but you need a special charger, charging bag/storage and you may have to change the whole MFU board from a standard Nicd one to a different one like a IBU board that is costly.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Fantastic Si, you should be proud of that one mate

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Fantastic Si, you should be proud of that one mate

Cheers mate, yeah looks good and after these pics were taken had a major track issue! Anti slip inducers on the rear sprockets didn't do there job and she slipped a track, chewed up the paintwork and had to do some faffing about. In the end had to take a link out of each track and back for trials.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
@eddiesolo The more I read threads on this site the more impressed I get. You guys produce some awesome dare I say 'models'. The lengths you all must go to to produce these kits is amazing!! Only hope in time I can produce something near what you do.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Chris, the problem is the battery MAh. The Standard battery supplied is a 7.2V 1800MAh-it isn't the voltage that is the issue but the MHa. Once that starts to drop the tank will have issues. You are correct, a standard battery will give you 10 to 15 mins run time. I use 7.2 V 3500MHa, this gives me a run time of 30mins or even more, the trick is not to run too much at full speed. The batteries I use last me all day at our home events, run for 5-10 mins, stop then start again, just turn off the tanks when you have finished. Now, the 7.2V get slightly bigger in size the more MHa there is, yes, run time is extended but, they will not fit into the tank, to remedy this you have to perform surgery and replace the hull screws with magnets, cut out the internal battery box frame, make a false bottom. You can of course go the LIPO route, but you need a special charger, charging bag/storage and you may have to change the whole MFU board from a standard Nicd one to a different one like a IBU board that is costly.
Sometimes, when you techies start discussing 'Fings', my limited grey amount of grey cells shout out 'WHAT? ... Then they lead me gently to that lovely soft, pale coloured room where the gentle music and the pastel colours make me realise I'm not a bad person after all.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
@eddiesolo The more I read threads on this site the more impressed I get. You guys produce some awesome dare I say 'models'. The lengths you all must go to to produce these kits is amazing!! Only hope in time I can produce something near what you do.

Cheers Gordon, glad you like them. There are some superb modellers on this site that produce works that make me think WOW!

Just practice and picking up info on here, learned a lot from other guys. We always think our own stuff isn't that great, mainly due to always looking at the thing, your stuff isn't as bad as you think.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sometimes, when you techies start discussing 'Fings', my limited grey amount of grey cells shout out 'WHAT? ... Then they lead me gently to that lovely soft, pale coloured room where the gentle music and the pastel colours make me realise I'm not a bad person after all.

Brilliant, I think I need one of those rooms Steve.