1/18 scale number plates

G

GavinT

I've a few 1/18 scale cars in my collection, some came with their own number plates but one or two were completely restored by me, the full works, paint and everything. The problem is replicating or creating my own number plates. At best I have some glossy white blank stickers and some yellow, so can create the blank plates front and back, but what do I use, or what do any of you use for the lettering?

Any help appreciated!

B

Bunkerbarge

Have you ever tried making your own transfers with a computer, printer and decal paper? You can get white decal paper and print black lettering on them to make very realistic signs and number plates. That might be a lot easier than trying to create 1/18th scale lettering.

F

Fenlander

I would just do the whole thing as a picture in Photoshop or similar. Just make a new document the size you want for the model and fill it with yellow or white then add the lettering. Print on something like photo quality gloss paper then matt down with varnish if required once cut out and glued in place.

As per

The RGB for the main fill is 242, 249, 78

For the highlight left and top edges RGB 249,232,165

Fr the shadow bottom and right edge RGB 203,172,50

This is in 1:18 scale based on modern UK numberplate size, works out at 29.1mm x 6.2mm

M

m1ks

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/other-models/10790-suzuki-rg250-gamma.html

If you look at my thread above about 3/4 of the way down you'll see the plate I made for this one.

I just went to a number plate website, filled in the reg, took a screendump (Ctrl+Alt+PrtScr), pasted into photoshop and resized according to a scale calculation.

Doing it this way ensures you get the correct UK font.

Printed on ordinary printer paper stock, glued to card with white glue then semi gloss varnish over the top.

G

GavinT

As daft as it may seem I never thought of using photoshop, I'll do some experimenting and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciated.

m1ks - nice bike, job well done there mate.

G

GavinT

\ said:
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/other-models/10790-suzuki-rg250-gamma.htmlI just went to a number plate website, filled in the reg....

Doing it this way ensures you get the correct UK font.

Printed on ordinary printer paper stock, glued to card with white glue then semi gloss varnish over the top.
Which website did you visit can you remember?

G

GavinT

Its ok found one now, handy to have so bookmarked it. You can enter whatever you like its for showplates, also get to see the rear plate too.

Number Plates - Show Plates - Custom Plates - Bike Number Plates - Online Plate Builder

M

m1ks

\ said:
m1ks - nice bike, job well done there mate.
Thanks, that ones winging it's southward in the care of Royal Mail to a friend for xmas, (it was his first bike), so fingers crossed it gets there in one piece.

I see you've found one so that's good, to be honest I can't remember which I used, I just googled number plates or show plates or somesuch.

Look forward to seeing the results.